Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emailing

Emailing is a common tool students use to communicate with instructors. How can I use this as an assessment tool and means for feedback when the student is lacking understanding for the direction of the class?

Emailing of course is a great tool for interacting with students one-to-one. I find that sometimes simply reiterating information that I've provided to a class specifically to a student calms fears for the individual student. In short, if a student feels he or she can contact me directly with questions, it helps bolster the student's confidence.

If the student is lacking understanding, perhaps it is the syllabus that should be assessed. What is it about the way the course is designed that does not allow the student to understand?

I have found over the years the student emails as a last resort if they are not able to find information or need clarity. I always check my emails 3-4 times a day and believe in a fast turn around to their burning question. This allows me to address them individually and attach information they have not been able to find or highlight the important part of the information they should focus on. 

The great thing about email is that it may be private or public. If a student is lacking understanding of the course, the instructor can use this as a means of discussing concerns the student has about the class in a one-on-one setting. Some students require personal attention for better understanding of the material and may not feel comfortable addressing the instructor in a discussion or more public setting. Through an email conversation the insturctor can gage the level of understanding that a student has in the course.

Emailing is the life line of every student that takes on line courses. I ensure to indicate in an initial email that I expect weekly emails from all my students to keep me in the loop with their progress. It is important to exaplin that emails can assist them in being succesful or the lack of emails can have the opposite effect and lead to failure.

I agree Rashunda

Emailing is a great tool because you are giving the student the one-on-one attention they might need to be successful. They should be able to communicate with their instructor without feeling intimidated. 

Emailing is a great tool bt at times can be long winded. I have also used a voice chat messenger that has helped with the response time.

I feel that communicating via email can be very individualistic when communicating with students.  Giving each student their own message makes them feel better intouch with the instructor.  The only way better that I have found would be to send a text or even a phone call. 

Sign In to comment