Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Scaffolding

It is very essential that instructors encourage students to learn and comprehend the information in the course whether then trying to remember the information for the test and ust forget it later. Moreover, if the student really retains and applies the information they will benefit from the scaffolding method.

Romanda,

Definitely. Students have to apply their new knowledge to be able to retain the information. It's good if we can provide real world simulations for them to use when applying knowledge. Thanks!

My experience has been that the more a student is able to relate new information to prior experiences and knowledge the stable the scaffold will be. Thanks!

Beatrice ,

Definitely. Connecting the content to experience is helpful in so many ways. Thanks for bringing this up.

Take care.

I agree. I try to always be conscious of the type of careers these students will eventually move into or are currently in. Trying to create specific situations or problems that occur in their actual industry tends to get the student really interested and they're able to apply their knowledge to a real world example.

Zac,

Holding the career in mind can help you think about examples or scenarios or real-world applications that you can share with your student and, in turn, connect the course content. Thank you.

We use the scaffolding method here but this is the first I have heard the term. It is interesting to watch students that do not build a good foundation /scaffolding in their first few classes. They drop behind quickly compared to the ones that did build a good foundation.
Paul

Paul,

Glad you learned a new term. So many times we are doing something, but just haven't connect a term to it. Thanks!

Sign In to comment