Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Going beyond evaluating

Is it important to go beyond just evaluating certain information in the classroom? For example,should the instructor do a little more in the discussion thread and respond to more student posts?

Romanda

Romanda,

It depends on the outcomes you want. I may have students leading the discussion so I will bow out and comment only when corrections or emphasis is needed. I also find in the beginning of the course, I interact more in discussion then slowly reduce my interaction through out the time period.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I find that posting to the discussion board a few times a week actually helps keep students focused, because they know I will be reading what they wrote. I make an effort to choose posts by different students to comment on each week, even if it's a short comment or question about what they have posted. By doing so, students are aware that I'm not just online during chat and office hours or when I'm grading.

Christen Embry

Christen,

You have to post if you expect them to post. You have to model what you expect from them. I am surprised at instructors that wonder why their students aren't engaged when they don't make an effort.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like to do as much as possible in the Discussion Board area. It shows that I care as a teacher and interested in the class.

Keith,

True, Do you have students lead discussions in your discussion area? How do you set your expectations of them?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment