Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

online vs. on ground

How essential is it to create an online course to an on ground course for first time college students since they are familiar with on ground contact with instructors?

There are slight differences between and online and an on ground course - the main one is the modality being used. The syllabus, course objectives, assignments, discussion questions will be outlined for both types of courses. First time college students would need to know how to access and use the system, and how to contact the instructor for questions. Once they get through the anxiety about using technology, students can enjoy the convenience and flexibility of learning on line.

Farida:
The decision to create an online version of an on-the-ground course is entirely up to the learning institution. My experience has told me that th majority of institutions who offer online programs do so solely to increase revenue and reach out to a wider student polulation. These institutions continue to offer the same program on-the-ground.
Satrohan

Farida,

I think there is a huge risk in telling students you are an on-campus insitution and then scheduling them for on-line courses in their first term. An institution needs to be very clear about who they are and what they offer to students. Many insitutions are moving to on-campus and on-line course offerings to broaden the scope of their student population, create flexible schedules and increase revenue (of course!). :)

On-ground campuses provide Orientations for new students ... but we also much orientate students to the on-line delivery methods and technologies. A well-developed and required on-line orientation will help support first time college students in their success with the on-line platform.

Krista:
Your point about a well-developed on-line orientation is well taken. Please share with us the kinds of information that should be included in the orientation so tat it fulfills its intended purpose.
Satrohan

I think that it is very essential to create an online course to an on ground course. This helps students get familiar with the different functions that might be offered. After the student has familiarized him/herself with this then to flow into the online course I think would be much smoother. Online courses can be nervewracking for individuals that have never experienced this before.

I think that students are much more adaptable to an initial on ground course. Once the student is comfortable then the convience of on line course will be much more beneficial.

Melissa:
Please clarify the first sentence of your answer so that I can offer appropriate feedback. Are you suggesting that we offer an online version of the course in an on-the-ground setting with the Instructor being there to offer support first, then enroll students in online versions of other courses?
Satrohan

I guess this depends on your first time college students. If this is the first class they are taking in an online program, I feel some ground contact is necessary. But this varies as to the general feeling of the instructor and class. I think this is something the instructor should feel out the first two weeks of class. But if they signed up for an online program, I feel it should be online. The instructor however should be available to ease those who may be the ones who are overwhelmed or confused.

We are starting hybrid classes with first time college students (1/2 in class and 1/2 online). This way the beginning of the program, they have the instructor 1/2 the time to build the ground contact and to evaluate the class in what they need to achieve success. Eventually the program will be fully online. This way the start of the program, they are building relationships with the other students and the faculity.

I know as soon as the students know the instructor is available by the portal, email or the phone, they are more comfortable with the online setting. I have heard numerous times, "What if I don't understand something!" As soon as they see how online communication works, the stress levels decrease.

I feel communication and setting up the class with navigational simplicity and having structural integrity is very important to you as an instructor and most importantly to the students.

Jen:
Availability of Instructors for the duration of the online course is one type of information that an Institution should include in its course description on the online portal.
Satrohan

Krista,

It depends. If students perceive the teacher as being equally well-trained to teach online and on-ground courses, they may (and do) appreciate the flexibility the online courses offer, especially at times when they want to continue with on-ground courses but simply cannot (because of sickness, travel, or any other reason).

Nandan:
Agreed. Instructors must include in their online biography information to support their expertise in the content domain as well as their ability to teach in an online environment.
Satrohan

A valuable on-line orientation should at minimum include:

- A demonstration of the course platform, such as how to log on and a "tour" of the course components
- Minimum software requirements for the course and other required course materials
- When and where to get technical help
- Clear definitions of course requirements (Discussion, How to Post/What is a Post?, How to Submit Assignments etc)

I like the idea of a general orientation for all students before they start an on-line course. And then a more course-specific orientation provided by the class instructor.

Some on-line institutions have even developed a more formal orientation or student success course geared towards first-term students.

Krista

Very true Nandan, I can see that with instructors who have experience teaching both. How would you convince students that an on-ground instructor with no online teaching experience will be an effective on-line instructor?

Krista:
You have captured the essentials of a Student Orientation Course------providing an introductions of the features of the course delivery platform students have to use to complete the learning activities. And yes; some institutions go beyong that----providing a simulation of "student life" in the first week of the course, the first module, or the first term-----depending on how the course is structured.
Satrohan

I fully agree this all depends upon the targeted students and their experiences. My husband teaches in a public HS and their focus has shifted to more Tech. centered instruction. I see the students he has had move onto both the traditional setting as well as online as because of the experience they have had in the classroom.

Thanks to the readily available tech these younger generations have they can jump right in and it’s a minimal adjustment period for them to catch onto the system each different Institution has set in place.

Good point - who you are teaching will really help to determine what you need to account for. - Jon

As most online courses are moving from self-study courses and transforming into active learner-centered learning environments I think the learners have the opportunity to learn regardless of learning style. Online communications is an important component to any business of today and should be recognized in the learning environment.
I had several instructors simply lecture (and administer tests each week) when I attended a traditional university and often times found it difficult to reach them via phone or during office hours. The navigational simplicity and intellectual interaction of most online courses today far exceeds the one-dimensional learning I received. I believe any student will get out of the learning experience what he/she puts into the experience; however, it seems the online environments are emerging as the education of today.

I agree - online is here to stay, and I think educators in general are learning how to use it (either alone or in conjunction with on-ground). - Jon

I think using the online instruction as a tool in the on ground would enhance learning. such as learning the aspects of Computer software both interactive in lab environments and interactive with e-learning concepts.

Regardless if you are an on-campus institution and you schedule students for on-line courses, I feel the on-line courses is for flexibility. On the other hand, I have had on-line students that track me down on-campus asking for help and trying to submit work via email instead of the platform. This is due to the lake of navigational simplicity of the course. Anyhow, on-line courses are, in my opinion, an advantage to people that do not have the time to make it to a class on ground but instead can take a class and log in and participate 24/7.

Sign In to comment