Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adjust our OWN Emotions

I found it almost ironic that I am takint this course today. I am a very positive person. I was teaching my class earlier this week and found the class getting louder and louder. I brought it to thier attention many times, I emphasised how many of them had low scores and were trying to grasp the subject. When I had finished for only a few seconds the room went to full outside voice again. I found myself all of a sudden to be the loudest voice in the room, Startling the class. Although I got the desired result, I for a moment felt out of control. This lesson reminded me that as much as we try, we must focus inwardly at all times

Marvin,
Sounds like we all still have areas to learn about ourselves. Keep improving all the time.
Philip Campbell

I find that while trying to always maintain a professional and constructive demeanor, it sometimes can be a bit frustruating as it applies to the classroom, specifically during a lab production. One of the biggest challenges to chef instructors is that we too often take for granted what we know and are able to do without a second thought. Many of the items, techniques, methods, etc. are second nature to us, but we forget that our to our students, these are completely new and unfamiliar things that may cause them to miss the details of an assignment, or make a incorrect choice. It's easy to get frustrated and lose control of our own emotions, however briefly, during the course of any particular class. But once that happens, I believe that all opportunity for true learning is lost. The students will only perform the task and not comprehend it, or the lessons behind the task. BY remaining focused, even when students are not, we can effectively manage the outcome. A few comments regarding lost opportunities and education, is often all I need to do to get the class back on track. It doesn't always work, there are still the occasional moments when the frustration comes to the surface, but overall, I would say that they have become less frequent as I learn to better understand my role and the students role in the classroom.

I agree, I also have found myself almost losing control in the class! It can be real hard to deal with some of the students we have at our school.
Some of them are very hard to reach, but we as Instructors MUST maintain our control to acheive the desired results in the classroom!

Donald,
True we need maintain our control.
Philip Campbell

It is frustrating at times to see students who do not want to achieve but could do great things. By maitaining control of our emotions and directing them in a positive way, the results are much more positive.

Redirection of situations to a more positive and easily comprehended assignment may allow us to take the next step to a more difficult topic and lesson. It will improve attitudes and confidence among the students.

Stacey,
Maintaining emotions is hard to do. We all need to be more mindful of that.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment