Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First Wait Times

I read with interest Jodi Mathews' topic of Second Wait Time, but I am interested in our educational department's inter-rater reliability in dealing with First Wait Times, especially for students who have English as a second language (ESL).

I have nothing to report, but I will begin, from this point, to observe and to compare fellow instructors' wait times during our fairly new activity of Oral Exam.

My best guess is that we all hurry the ESL student more than we hurry the English as native language person (ENL).

Phil,

I disagree and I am interested to know why you think so. I feel we may be more patient with the ESL students and give them more time.

Judy Mohammed

Judy,

Please review my earlier note. I observe (possibly I only infer) that my fellow staff do not wait long enough to allow a response from ESL students who are in our science-based instructional program. I believe we should wait longer, not shorter for ESL student responses.

To give a case example: In my own home, my spouse is learning English, and I speak more slowly, wait longer, and re-state my question to allow the time necessary for translation from English to her native tongue, then translation back to English.

I do not make the rules, but I do truly observe that my peers may not wait long enough to allow the above-described processing of question and information from our ESL students. As stated earlier, I have nothing to report because I have not actually timed my peers as they interview the students. I am only going on comments from my peers, such as, "Engracia was slow to respond to my questioning." My take on that was that that particular student was a bit nervous, thus delaying her response so she could give (in her opinion) the very best response.

Respectfully,
Phil

Phil,

I totally agree with you that ESL students should be given more time. I was surprised to learn (from your experience) that teachers are not giving the time needed to these students. I was judging on my own experiences as well as the teachers I have observed.

Judy Mohammed

Hello again Judy,
I will continue to observe our faculty in the matter of uniform application of such techniques as initial wait time. I could wish that all faculty were free of any biases, but even in the year 2013, we have room to improve.
Thank you for this discussion.
Phil

Phil,

Like you, I feel that we always have room for improvement in all areas and I hope that we continue to work for the best.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment