Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Anger in the classroom

How do you handle confrontational students?  We have a different security officer weekly and have no contiunity in our "power" behind the conversations.  We try to use our soft skills and defuse situations but at times there is no bringing the situation back in line.  Suggestions?

We send them home. If they refuse to leave, we call the police and have them removed. This sets the tone that we mean business! The other students also see this and it makes them think twice.We don't have security officers.

@miriamb : I defuse an argument among students first by dancing, singing, or saying something really silly. This makes the class laugh no matter what is going on. Then I will call the students out of the classroom, and try to calm them down and make them see different points of view regarding the argument. Sometimes, this may not work, so then I will have to send them home to calm down. I let them know that what they feel is not wrong but, how they handle it may be.

When dealing with confrontational students, I just eliminate them from my classroon environment. The rules are laid out for them the first day of class, if they have a lapse in judgement, they are are told to leave.

These were great suggestions. I've not had student getting out of hand in my class with each other but I've had student upset with me. I typically don't allow students to take us off topic and every once and a while a student will get angry because I will not allow this to happen. I let them know that I am open to a discussion after class but not at that moment. When a student knows that he or she will be able to speak their piece at some point they usually settle down.

@AMack40 : Eliminating students because they have had a lapse in judgment seems counter productive. Yes it m,akes it easier for the instructor but what have you achieved with the student? Sent another angry youth out into the world feeling like nobody is listening or cares? How old are your students? You are aware I am sure that the frontal lobe does not develop until well into the 20s. Bad judgement and choices are part and parcel of being a kid. Isn't our job to give them the skills to communicate so that they don't have to become so angry that they lose it?

@TammyRyan : Sounds like a reasonable strategy. Most people will settle down if they beleive that someone is really going to hear what they have to say. You obviously have their trust that you will not only let them talk but that you will listen and hear them. You must be a good teacher.

@miriamb :I ask the student to leave the classroom.  You have to preserve the rules that you set the first day.

Although, I have had to contact administration to help me get the students out because they may refuse to leave.

It is a tough situation and each one is different.  Good luck!

@miriamb :I would like to add that there are degrees of confrontation.  My answer was for the most disrespectful kinds that might involve fighting, cursing, etc.  Mild confrontations can be handled with soft skills like trying to find out what the student's problem is.

@AMack40 : I set the ground rules first day too. I give them one verbal warning and they don't get a warning the next time. THe dean is totally supportive.

Sign In to comment