Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED 114 - Questioning in the Classtoom

This class had my complete focus.  I did not realize that I, too, am among the 60% of instructors who ask a majority of closed questions and didn't even realize it. I will continue to ask them, but there is often time in my class to devote to more 'open' questions.  I've been so busy with course content, making outlines/charts and guides that I never gave much thought to the type of questions I asked the students in class......or the amount of time I paused before calling upon them in the first place.  This made me aware that I need to engage them more and then wait a few seconds before answering them to allow all the students to carch up.  I thoroughly enjoyed this course.

"catch"

I had never heard of the concept of "wait-time" prior to this class.  As I covered that topic, I saw that I am guilty of sort wait-times, sometimes.  Now that I realize this, I will make an effort to improve upon this. 

Some of the classes that I teach, like Medical LAw and Ethics, can be tailor-made for open ended questions.  I am always asking the classes how they feel about this concept or that concept.  I generally get some very interesting answers, to be sure.  My more technically minded classes, like Medical Terminology, ads made for closed questions.  I make an effort to open these questions up when I can.  I find that this stimulates the critical thinking of the classes.

KMP

Sign In to comment