Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online and Ground based course design

I found that in EL101 there were many aspects that can be easily translated from the online learning environment to the development of groundbased classes. 

Ground based courses can easily use many of the online stratagies.  Additional readings and videos from online sources can easily enhance and claify topics from the lectures, Online quizzes and discussions can stimulate or be a continuation of the ground based classroom to continue to engage the student and reach the desired learning outcomes. 

One of the things I have done in the past is to record my presentations and lectures and have them online along with links to resources used in class for students who were absent on any given day.  This helps in keeping the student up to date and reduces the amount of information that must be repeated or explained for those who were not there for the original lecture.  Additinally it allows the students to go over the lecture again if there is something they are having difficulty remembering or understanding.

@chiefwms :Christopher, do you record the lectures as you are giving them or at another time. That is a great idea especially if you have students who have trouble attending class...car problems, babysitting problems, illness, etc. What are your thoughts about the Flipped Classroom approach? The lecture is online and a class activity is during the day. Here is a site that you might (or might not) find interesting: http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/

Carolyne

Sign In to comment