Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Humor in teaching

Do you use humor in teaching? If so please give some examples.

Most definately. I always have examples of job situations involving patients and circumstances that my students find humerous. It helps to lighten the mood when learning the dry subject of Pharmacology.

Humaor can be a great ice breaker in class.  Humor can get out of line if you allow it.

Humor is most certainly a great "ice breaker." Students tend to relax and feel comfortable if the instructor implements humor.

@jbillingsleyaiufledu : I am always using humor in my classes. Depending on the particular topic, I try to find a joke to help create interest. I teach microbiology, urinalysis, electrocardiography, and clinical asepsis. I can find many humorous lines in these areas.

@scmeaux :

I personally like to call my style of teaching "animated" in order to keep the students engage students while learning! An example would be my interpretation of seeing a beautiful piece of artwork and singing, "Ahhhh!" in an angelic tone!  Also, working at Walt Disney World helps alot when you have pixie dust working for you! 

Coco

I absolutely incorporate humor into my lectures....It is an icebreaker, and it helps students to relax, I find, and help them see that I'm just like them....I just happen to be the instructor. 

but I want them to know I've been where they've been, experienced the same issues, and that we are all on a common journey--to create our own stories in the careers they have chosen to take on....

Vallorie,

Humor keeps the students from finding you boring. I am always inccorporating humor as well. My students say it makes me appear "down to earth".

@scmeaux : I use humor in everything, so my answer is yes. On every test I have one extra credit question which goes like this,

The most breathtaking, intelligent, funny and well-dressed teacher in our school is

a. Ms Hayes   b. Ms Chapline    c. Ms. Madeya    d. Ms Killmeyer (me)

They love this and I think it relaxes them for the rest of the test....

Yes, I use as much humor as possible and understandable by my target audience. Humor is a very good ice breaker. I am careful to avoid anything that can be misconstrued or is taboo. Humor tends to relax and take the edge off of various activities or engagements that might produce anxiety. 

@scmeaux :

Humor is definitely a good way to have students focused and engaged in the class. It can make a relatively boring topic  very interesting and appealing . It makes the whole classroom experience fun and enjoyable and that makes the student more relaxed and not stressed.But too much of anything is not good. The instructor must have the proper timing and and must use good humor to be effective and acceptable. Students want to participate and will feel not intimidated in class discussions and recitations.

@vwood1201 : I liked your comment about making sure the students know that we have experienced many of the same things that they are going through.so we can share some of our stories so they can continue on the journey to make their own story.

If, as a teacher, you can make the class time an enjoyable experience by using your personality as your greatest asset, then the subject matter won't scare anybody away!!

Yes of course Students like to realize that learning can be fun.  I make faces for some of the different items that I am explaining

@scmeaux : Sometimes sharing things, that patients made have said while doing a initial assesment/admission or situation in practice that you have done being young (new in the practice)  in hopes that won't make the same blunder. Maybe you did not ask the questions or phase the properly and got.  

@scmeaux : I absolutely try to, for industrial maintenance classes, it's a nice way to re-inforce safety principles, using proper techniques and following procedures without the students actually suffering the consequences.

@scmeaux : I do use humor in teaching. I think it relaxes the students nad gives them a connection to the information i am teaching.

@scmeaux :I tell my students that if you can't come to class and have some fun then why be here. I have learned that being able to laugh at our own mistakes helps you relate to the students. 

Well said. However, I sometimes have to define my jokes based on the age of my students.  I am I guess getting old.

when given a chance, I use humor in my examples of past experiences.  It shows the professional humor that goes along with our field.

I keep my lectures and demonstrations as brief as possible and sort of like a stand-up comic routine. It keeps the students interested and the mood light and they look forward to coming in everyday. They really enjoy taking the class and really retain the information that was taught.

Sign In to comment