Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation

I believe it is extremely important to try and motivate the students.

I try and motivate the students as soon as they walk into the classroom by

asking them about the material and giving them positive feedback.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to what they do to motivate students.

I greet each one of my college students by their first name as they arrive; many seem surprised by this attention!

I also note any current events that are course-related and may be of interest to them, and ask them to comment.  I encourage and support their responses as appropriate. 

Basically, try to pay attention to them and include them in appropriate discussions when possible. 

That is  a great idea to greet them by their name, that will make anybody feel special. It shows interest in your students and it shows that you care to take the time and learn their names.

Learning students names is very important I think.....the sooner the better.  Taking a picture of them to help you learn their names is brillant.  Trying to engage everyone in a discussion is also good, for really shy students this might not be so good but having them used an index card for ideas or comments is also a great idea

@ctarnutzer : I really struggle with remembering names. This would be one of my weaknesses,and has been for years.

Sign In to comment