Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

Best student retention is by keep student busy and excited .
So best way to do it is by making students expecting quizzes and prizes every time

Amgad:

I agree that when students are engaged in learning we will see better retention rates.  What I do not agree with is bribing adult students to learn.  I give "prizes" to my students but for special accomplishments not an every day or every week routine.  I believe that when students see value in what they are learning, they will want to be in school. Therefore, it is our responsibility as instructors to be sure that we are prepared to teach so that students are engaged, learning takes place, objections are met and instructor and students educational goals are met.  When all of this is accomplished, we will have a better chance of retaining more of our students.

Edna Murugan

retention is very important says to the student that you care about their education

But is retention of every student the most important thing? Are some studnets better served by letting them know that the field of study they are interested in is not for them at this time. As we focus on retention at all cost are we lowering our standards

The retention of every student is important as a responsibility of Education although it is a campus-wide effort.  Advising students that the field of study may not be the right one for them is something that should be identified and addressed in the admissions process.  I believe that the screening process of students should be more stringent.  In addition to the many student challenges that the Eduation Department addresses, retention rates will be affected when students are not directed appropriately from the beginning.  Educating students is much more important than counting numbers at the beginning of a module or term.  We must focus on our mission which is to educate and prepare students for employment.  When we do this and show students that we really care and there is value in what they are learning, retention will be less of an issue.

For me - The best way to keep a student focused & retentive is to constantly remind them how this piece of the puzzle gets them closer to being able to accomplish the goal of the class. I always stop when I see the signs that some may not be paying attention and start adding up the subjects we had previously gone through in addition to our cuurent topic that brings them to the conclusion of our class.

Sign In to comment