Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pretests

Pretesting is a good way for me to see what the students know and how to gauge my course to make sure they receive the best set of information -- this course has re-enforced that the techniques that i have been using are used througout schools and instructors everywhere.

I agree! Pretests are a great way to establish a baseline of understanding of the material prior to providing instruction. They also provide a great point of reference against which to compare final exams to see how far students have come in the course.

True!

I use pretests to test for math ability for my algebra, physics and chemistry courses. In addition, I like to get a feel as to what their general scientific knowledge base is with respect to the course being taught. For example, for determining their knowledge of general concepts common to all areas of science I ask about the scientific method. Other questions can range from their defining terms such as mass and matter to having them diagram an atom or defining life and support the answer with facts (short essay). However, since I began the ED 103 course saw how including questions as to “how do you learn best” is a great idea and I intend to include it in all my future classes.

Pre-tests are a great way to see where everyone is at. Even in my training as a nerw instructor 8 years ago, I remember thinking I was a loser because I scored low on some of the pre-tests the school gave us instructors, but later I realised it meant I have alot of room for improvement, and it put me in the students shoes and now I relfect back and am glad I did it, and teaching the material now has meaning.

@adamgreen : Pretests are a great way of gauging a student's progress in a course and keep the student engaged in their learning progress. I can then taylor my lectures and individual meetings to each students need. It is also a way to show the student I am interested in their success and that I care.

It's nice to know also that other teachers are using similar methods in classroom nationally. I set high standards in my class for the students and this is a good way to help them along.

its a way to tell what they dont know, thats for sure.

@adamgreen : Pretests are a great way to assess the current knowledge of your students. It takes away the possibility of making assumptions and provides a guide for instructions to format course materials.

Sign In to comment