Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

motivation

Motivation is directly correlated with confidence.

Motivation Plays a key part in the learning process. If the student is not motivated usually, they will not be productive in the class. This is when communication comes into part. Finding out why as well as what motivates, and lack there of are key components in getting a student to change their perseption of the class, the instructors and their peers. Once the student has opened up and feels more comfortable, often, they will begin to feel better about the class which in time will help them be more motivated.

You have to build students confidence in Math, so I allow them to go to board and work out the problems. When they succeed they continue to study and feel good about themselves. Motivation is the key to the students learning the courses that they fear the most.

I remember my algebra instructor had us go to the board and work out problems as a class and this really helped us to see our progress, help others, and receive help as a group. It was a nice change from doing the work and not receiving feedback until after an assignment had been graded.

We are completing Physics, it has been difficult and I wish I had been able to implement this technology for this module. We have had many sessions where students worked about problems on the board it was very exciting and interactive. One of the best learning events of the class. I also had the students formulate a problem using the knowledhge they had acquired from the lecture. It became very competetive and a lot of learning happened that day. The problems became more difficult as well as use of scientific notation. I can identify with what you are speaking of.

Many students are going to school to gain knowledge to get into many different fields.  I think that it is important for the instructor to get to know each student.  This way the instructor can understand each students motivation.  Many nontraditional students are going back to school for man different reasons.  Some have to make a career change because they can not find employment.  Their motivation is completley different than a student that is just out of school.  In addition, studnets learn at different rates and are better at some subjects than others. It is important for the instructor to listen to each student and understand their various needs.

I try to talk invididuality with each student in the beginning of the term to determine any prior learninig and course passsing experiences that may impact this course.

I have RT students. Their first goal is to graduate and pass the registry. I know how to motivate these students because I listen to what they are saying. Unfortubnately the economy has made many different reasons for students to go back to school or to be first time college or technical students. I encourage higher education no matter what they think they will end up doing. Some students will stop at the first level and be satisfied. Others will continue and pursue other modalities. In any instance I have two years to spend with each person so I am learning alot about them as time passes.

Motivation is a widely discussed subject in the current HR class that I am teaching. We engage in think-pair-share discussions on how to motivate employees without money. On the subject of student motivation, I agree with the other contributors in that each person's motivation is different, but also that I can still provide motivation daily to each of them in my teaching methods if I try. I won't always reach everyone everyday, but I think my students appreciate the fact that their instructor brings energy and focus on a daily basis.

Everyday I find it challenging to motivate some students. A mindset is needed so that you possess motivation in the first place. Often goals are to pass the course and to graduate. Students today are somewhat different. When I went to school I was happy to further my education. I continue to battle with those who don't appreciate their minds and a good education. Before the students graduate I do believe they will be motivated to accomplish much more than their basic dream was when the enrolled. I am very optimistic, I see great things in my students and I know with some encouragement they will shine through. Educate and motivate, that is key.

Motivation is key in the learning process. It triggers the interest and willingness to acquire new knowledge. I agree the instructors should be entertainer to keep everyone in the classroom happy while they are educated. It is a hard thing to do but it is possible.

Motivated is the toughest part to teaching!  If the students are not motivated to learn, how can they be educated?  Yet we must remember that motivation start with me as the faculty professor.

Yes, I think motivation is so important.  It is hard to accomplish with students who are busy with their appearance and their texting and such...so I think it is one of the challenges, but if you are enthusiastic and show that you care to have them learn it they come around.  Orcourse there is always a few clowns in the class, but if you can humor them along---great, if not they can take up class time.  I like to involve them in discussions, so that they break the ice with me and with eachother...and usually the offering of day to day operations in the field; which gives them a birds eye view, gets them interested.  If the are able to see their own progression in acquiring new knowledge, this is very powerful, espcially for the ones that are not use to achieving.  This is most rewarding!

You can encourage students and be a passionate instructor who constantly engages the students but each student has to find their inner reason for continuing their education.  Motivation is a shared path by the student and the instructor.  Adult learners must see progression and positive movement toward their goal or they lack motivation.

We as humans are motivated buy rewards of acknowlegement.  For other motivation is internal. Regardless of what motivates us, we need to draw on our ways of motivation.

Sign In to comment