Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Completed E101, E105 &E107

Although it is sometimes exhausting, it's always good for me to go back to school  It helps me to see curriculum through someone else's perspective. It helps me to rethink the layout of my objectives and think of new experiments for my students.  I guess in short, it's a bit like being inspired again.

Barry Karrh

I feel the same way. I enjoy being a lifetime learner. Even though I might be revisiting something I am familiar with, inevitably I see it from a new perspective with new insights.

Yes I agree with you both. In this day and age it is important to keep up with changes in the business and educational environments.  Being a lifelong learner makes an individual more marketable and competent. The truth is, the more you learn the less you realize you know.

Cornellius Cash

I feel I need to continue to study education methods because I did not major in education in college and I feel the need to learn more so I can teach more effectively. I do know my material well but I would like to be able to take that material and make it easier for my students to comprehend and also figure out how to teach students who are having a difficult time understanding the material.

Miss Rhodes,

I am in the same boat. I am currently teaching on a subject that I have doing my entire life. I usually sit in on other classes and learn different teaching styles and techniques, and pick up on cues and clues as to how the different instructors target students who aren't following.

I enjoyed EL 103 and EL107 very much. Researching and learning about the various student learning styles is very important for curriculum building and student success. Not all students will appreciate the course,  the instructor and environment due to the varied learning styles students have or have adopted. Instructors should also be conversant with the various teaching styles and also which style they can adopt, in which situation, to meet the expectations of the majority of their students.

Hi to Everyone,

I totally agree about education. It is lifelong learning and in order not to become stagnant, you must continue educating yourself. I completed my BSN and MSM degrees back to back. I most currently completed my Certificate in Nursing Education and will go into the MSN in Education in the fall.

My possible future plans is to complete the Doctorate of Nursing Practice perhaps a year later after the MSN in Education. I have been an Educator at heart from the beginning of my Nursing career and want to continue with academia for the next few years.

Courses like this are good to review the past and to see what new has developed.

Barry:

I appreciate the purpose of returning to school.  We an all learn, an appropriate  varied perspective of education.  The different  perspective lends insight, for better decision making abilities.  It  is also an excellent attempt at professional development.

-Tracy

Most people can accomplish a task but to excell takes doing it tge right way and at the right time then over and over until it becomes a habit....Teaching is no different. The tools are great but application is better. I am looking forward to the next srp

Most people can accomplish a task but to excll takes doing it the right way and at the right time then over and over until it becomes a habit....Teaching is no different. The tools are great but application is better. I am looking forward to the next step

Nina;  Good luck with your future teaching assignments.  I hope you share any great strategies that you discover as you embark on your teaching journey with us!!

Ed 105 had some good pointers for classroom management regarding grading. I may revise how I grade late assignments.

Faye;  I come from a health care discipline "Nursing"  and we faced the same issue with grading sclaes and grade inflation.  We got all of our Program Directors together and voted to have a grading scale where 80% of the course grade would come from exams, i.e. mid-term, final, quizzes,  Participation is a given and all ofthose points and percentages go to class assignments which must be turned in.

I just completed EL101, and found this course to be quite beneficial.  I am the Program Director for some programs at an online school, so I am engaged in course development activities regularly, but I do not have a degree in education, so getting the curriculum development knowledge to pair with my subject matter knowledge is great!

ED 105 had a number of good suggestions regarding assessment.  Depending on the differences between courses you may have to modify your method of assessment. – one size does not fit all.

Also good points on presentation.  I like the idea of keeping the key bullet points to less than 5 on any one slide.  I also like the idea f colored paper for different handout topics.

HI, Tim--

THe fact that "one size does NOT fit all" is one of the concepts that, I think , alays needs to be kept on the "Front Burner"---with a heavy teaching load, it can be hard to remember.

Thanks.

I completed EL107 a few days ago. I have enjoyed reading others comments. The course staisfies a curriculum requirement I need. I have healthcare background however my degree isn't in teaching. I learned quite a bit and will use what I have learned in 10 days. I am excited and I WILL be certin to make my expectations clear and to obtain and evaluate feedback.

I am so happy to be learning/reviewing these different strategies.  Like some of you, I do not have an education background.  I have read numerous education books on teaching/learning strategies so some of this is review and I am loving learning any new concepts, especially from your comments,  that I can apply to my students.  Thanks!

Just completed my first course ED101. Overall the website is excellent, well laid out and easy to use.  The ED101 was a good review and confirmation of what I already do and have learned in previous educational programs.  The highlight was actually reading and finding new ideas of how to increase student motivation and connect to students on the first day in the discussion boards. It is really worth reading through those and taking note. Thanks

Sign In to comment