Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meetings and Training

Investigate meetings and training opportunities available for you. Which ones will you participate in and why did you make these selections?

Admissions staffs are requiered to know the rules, regulations, and stamdars that govern their insitution.
Its made easier when admissions personnel are fully trained and attend mettings, take courses, and read updates.

Belen,

What type of meetings are you attending at your organization, besides the admissions specific ones?

Donna Guisado

I only attend admissions meetings with in my institution, but we attend trainung at diferents places out site our institution that offer admissions training.

Belen,

That's great. There are many opportunities for webinars as well. Often they are free. Always good to stay up on training and current information.

Donna Guisado

I attend Veterans GI Bill training to keep aware of all of the rules and regulations for enrolling vets who would like to utilize their benefits. Also, thanks to this training, I was able to locate "Career College Admissions Professionals" which I hope to join.

Dan,

An organization that provides continual training to admissions is a smart one, especially in this regulatory climate.

Being a part of an organization such as Career College Admissions Professionals will also help to keep you in constant contact with updates, changes, networking opportunities that will affect your career and even your day to day job functions.

This is really good stuff!

Donna Guisado

Thank you Donna for asking this questions. One of my goals this year and from this point on is to explore meetings/training opportunities out side of my College. I have found this sections extremely helpful in recommending the blogs via linked in and publications. I joined the Career College Admissions Professionals & Career College Association group as a result of this session. I'm looking forward to explore the other resources and sharing it with others on my admissions team.

Kimberly,

You are absolutely doing all the right things to continue your professional development. It is so important to continue to be updated and informed on all the regulatory changes our sector has, and continues, to encounter.

I would also suggest reviewing the BPPE website and CAPPS, as well as your institutional accreditor. They often provide updates and the ability for you to sign up for ongoing notifications you can receive through your email.

Donna Guisado

I am in marketing so I will attend more courses online from CAPPS to understand the language and requirements for marketing as well as brochures and other materials.

I will participate in the financial aid meetings and the ones regarding the GI/VA students. I think that it is important for admissions staff to understand the changes that will affect both prospective and current students. It will also give us a stronger understanding of the procedures that the financial aid department must handle.

Ying,

You are so right. Admissions really needs to know a little bit about all parts of the schools offerings because you are the first person to assist the student and will most likely be asked the tough questions.

The more you know, the better you are able to help the students and know exactly where to direct them.

Donna Guisado

CAPPS I khow has helped me out a lot especially with my time schedule. It helped me stay abreast with what goes on in the "Admissions world" without spending a lot of time outside the office.I just read about the Admissions Association that I never knew about 'till now, so that would be something I'd like to get into.

Vina,

Great idea! Many of the associations often have the ability for you to sign up for automatic notifications. There is so much information and it can change so quickly, having it come to you can be a very convenient and effective way to stay on top of it all.

Donna Guisado

I think we all need continual training and meetings so we can stay up to date with new rules and regulations, it motivates and encourages the Representative to stay up to date with all the new changes that goes around. Doing our own investigation in ethical professionalism is indeed needed by most institutions.

I plan on attending a future CAPPS convention.

Eric ,

You'll have a great time and will learn a great deal. CAPPS is a great resource for information.

Donna Guisado

I was really excited to see the National Association for College Admission and Counseling! I wasn't aware of their association and will definitely check it out. I've already bookmarked their website! :)

Karen,

Those types of associations can really help get you connected and provide a great networking opportunity. Glad you checked that out!

Donna Guisado

On an annual basis I attend the annual conference workshops by all the accrediting bodies that approve my institution. One of the training opportunities that I was able to reflect on and plan on attending in the future is one offered by an Admissions Association. I can't say that I am active member of these associations or have actively sought out training opportunities offered by them. It is something that I will put on my to do list.

Sign In to comment