Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Physical Notebook or Electronic? Which format?

Discuss your decision about whether you will create a physical notebook with printed documents and page dividers or organize the information electronically.

We've been very particular in not only updating our existing policies and procedures for the admissions department, but also our DOE regulations book. Monthly meetings have certainly helped in updating regulations book.

Giovanni,

What part do you play, as an admissions rep, in updating the policies and procedures? At the monthly meetings, what type of input are you providing?

It is very important that you are involved in these things, and I think its great that your organization is doing this.

Donna Guisado

I favor the electronic form of organizing. We have shared network drives throughout our campus and each campus has a separate drive. As forms/information is made/changed at one campus the directors of other campuses receive them via email. I find it easiest to move the new file to the appropriate place while archiving the preexisting (out of date) file. I can always use detailed information within that digital file to see when the file was created and when it was last altered. Very convenient, especially when multiple people sometimes have access and are working on the same files.

Leonid,

I love this! This is a great way to make sure everyone is on the same page. We also use this electronic method to keep everyone up-to-date, and you can also have drives specific to individual job functions,etc.

Besides that, it's very "green"!

Donna Guisado

I will create a physical notebook and also have an electronic version available, if needed. This will help have information available in whatever way it may be needed. BTW: Sometimes our computers are down, so having a notebook will make sure everything can still move forward :)

tanya,

That is a great point! It's amazing how business can literally STOP when the computers are down.

Great thinking...

Donna Guisado

I am a very visual person. While I have all of our policies, procedures, and other important documents accessible on my computer, I feel it would be more beneficial for me to have a hard copy in a binder as well.

Sarah,

Then definitely do that! You have to know what works best for you most certainly. I too, think it is often easier to flip a binder open and highlight a page than to scroll and read through a screen.

Call me "old school", but if it works, why not?

Donna Guisado

I prefer to write down the rules and regulations. I am in marketing so it is helpful to create a guide that I can use. I also bookmakred the entire California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 to make sure I can refer to sections.

I decided to do an electronic notebook. I like having the information right on my work computer.

We have maintained physical notebooks that include much of the information recommended here, but I think we will work on creating an electronic version as well. We'll also make sure to add any of the items to the notebook that we kept separately so that it is all in one place.

Kevin,

We've found the electronic book is very convenient to add information to, and easy to share with each other

Donna Guisado

Shirley,

We have found this to be a very convenient method as well.

Donna Guisado

I keep all items organized in a physical notebook. I receive the documents electronically but prefer to review the items once they have been printed.

Dale,

This is still a very convenient way to keep the materials quickly at hand. It's important that you are reviewing the documents in any way possible!

Donna Guisado

physical notebook with printed documents and page dividers, it makes important information handy.

I am a working DOA by that means I work as a Director of Admissions and Admissions Representative at times so having a physical notebook helps me stay on top of changes to reference to. I overesee 1 admission representative which I hand out a physical notebook but I am considering on having both.

rudy,

I agree, I still think there's nothing wrong with having printed material nearby!

Donna Guisado

Vina,

You are busy! I too like having printed material available. It's quick and easy to grab. The great thing about electronic is that is often is easier to update on a more frequent basis.

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment