Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions/clarifying student expectations as a problem in developing student success systems

How do we deal with the very real fact that Admissions Representatives in schools are pressured to make their numbers at all costs...and will thus tell a student anything it's thought they want to hear; regarding if it impacts an accurate understanding by the new student of the realities they will face.

The bottom line is all too often...just that. If a Rep is told to make numbers they won't tell a student something that might get in the way of making a sale...ethical or not.

Meeting our budgeted active student enrollment numbers is part of my Admission Directors Comp plan so if the students don't stick he has a stake it in. This at least is good starting point for a dialogue when I start see disconnects between reality & student expectations.

This should be handled in the training period letting the Reps know what is expected of them and what the rules are and how they are to be presented. The school Director should also monitor the on goings in the Admissions dept and what the rep is doing and saying.

This seems to be so true. It's very frustrating so see that this still happens. But, I remain a firm believer that honesty is the absolute best policy. It can affect weather the student stays, enjoys school, and weather he refers others in the future. This seminar has reinforced that if we prepare the student up front, are honest, and as complete as possible we will have less damage control later and perhaps greater retention.

The fact that your representative feel pressured to make their numbers at all cost and will tell a student anything is alarming to me. I work at a school were the most important thing is doing the right thing. If the admission team is trained properly (and monitored) to do what is the right thing for the student, you will retain more students, enroll more students, and graduate more students. That is the bottom line.

Karen, I agree with you. Retention begins with all of the faculty. If everyone does the right thing and explains what the expectations are to the student prior to and during enrollment retention rate is not a major issue. We must all recongnize our goal and make sure that we all acheive it.

I agree. Admissions sometimes have no common sense when it comes to getting in the serious student. I have taught in institutions where I have been told I cannot fail a student.Give them a take home final, whatever it takes to get them through.I will not sign off on a students ability when it isn't there.That's a reflection on me, and I am not pushing them through for the sake of numbers.Unfortunately alot of times students are not told in advance that the courses they are taking are accelerated or whatever the case may be.I tell students up front, the first night of classes what to expect, and with a little work and diligence on their part, i will do my job to make sure they do the best they can

Academic integrity is a critical part of an institution's image. Without it the school can't expect long term success in recruiting or placement. What can you and your colleagues do to assure that the “right message” is being presented to prospective students, Christine?

I don't know about your program, but I have worked in schools where the recruiting and admissions people really do not know what to tell students to expect from their classes.Perhaps if the recruiters and admissions people spent some time in the classroom, they could see the ffrustations of the student that we instructors see.

I agree with Christine. Admissions reps need to have product knowledge on what they are selling - the academic programs. This can really only come from the department chairs that lead those programs and the lead instructors in the classrooms.

This is why academic institutions have so many issues with retention.Admission reps bring in too many unsuitable candidates.

by Thomas Gartner - Thursday, 12 February 2009, 11:07 AM (EST)

This is why academic institutions have so many issues with retention.Admission reps bring in too many unsuitable candidates.
end quote.

With any Government funded institution (no matter how small or large funding) there are rules and guideline which frequently preclude turning away 'unsuitable' candidates.
Anyone who meets critera has to be given a chance
As an instructor it would be 'nice' to have admission reps sit in class and see exactly what we do but it isnt really necessary.
Field reps could probably benefit from short term visits more than 'on site' admissions. You can't really critisise someone who simply does not know exactly what 'we' do.
Its dificult bordering on impossible to write total explanation of entire course, the best that can be done is a brief outline
The instances of prospective students being either accidentally or deliberatly misled has declined steadily over a period of years, deliberately dishonest reps do not last long
'We' (instructors and faculty staff) do the best we can to ensure every student has opportunity to succeed.

When budgets are forecast with x number of students needed, then the admissions dept. must come up with those numbers or there will be a cascading affect on all dept's future expenditures. I'm not saying I professionally agree with this tactic, but when the numbers go down, those in higher level management take serious notice. And call into question all those responsible for the show rate and retension levels.

A college is a delicately balanced system that is constantly adjusting. Enrolling too many or too few students throws the system out of balance. Similarly, losing too many students through unnecessary attrition is a problem. The art of management is finding the right balance - the right people in the right place doing the right things the right way for that institution.

end quote.

The instructors bear the brunt of the anger from students who were promised the world by their admissions reps. For us, it's a big part of the problem.

Sounds like a problem that needs attention. How can you bring it the attention of those who can pursue a solution?

Sign In to comment