Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Trust your judgement

A good item to remember as an instructor is to
trust your own judgement. Do not accept what you
have heard about the student; form your own opinions based on what you have observe and
experience.

Good counsel, Eva. How will you translate that into ways to address Academic Stagnation or Academic Erosion?

I agree. As adults,we tend to have much more exp. then the students. ( THANK GOD ),the saying is true wisdom comes with age.

Sometimes. Many of our students have a lot of bad experience and repeat the same mistakes over and over. Part of our challenge is to share positive experience and help them use that information to improve their lives - regardless of age.

Students come from so much uncertainty in this age, I see it in my own family. I t is important for them to relize thaat education and their own life can be better, if they are willing to work at it. I believe that encouragment and time alon with respect is very important.

Denise Long

That is so true, each person is an individual. They have to be treated as such. I am so different from my own family. So how do anyone expect strangers to be alike.

Denise Long

To be mindful of the creation of a paradigm based on student preconceptions from other staff members. I have had many students who were deemed "problem students" but when coached and mentored were major contributors.

Remember it goes back to making judgment and preconceived ideas of a student before we meet them. What we think often becomes reality

The literature is full of studies about the impact of preconceptions - positive or negative - on outcomes. Thanks for reminding us of this pitfall, Scott.

Sign In to comment