Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Collecting Employment Data

It's interesting to me that telephone interview is seen as being able to gather more results. It's been my experience that former graduates rarely answer or return telephone calls whereas they'll quickly respond to an email (which they can do on the mobile.)

Interesting observation - - makes me think of myself.  If I see a number come across my phone that I don't know, I won't answer it either.  And to your point, Susan, given the option to talk or email when it is convenient for me, I will choose the email.

This being said, however, I do still believe in the value of a phone interview.  I think it ads that additional personal touch that helps so much with building relationships.

I find the best response is to my texts, then followed up by phone call.

I agree, it is difficult to get graduates to respond sometimes. I have called, emailed and texted for a year before finally hearing back from some. Makes it tough to gather the information needed. I do however enjoy when they do answer and we can catch up, hear their successes, encourage them if they are frustrated etc...

Hello,

Presuming this thread was started based on information in the CS202 Course, I think there is confusion. Susan said, "It's interesting to me that telephone interview is seen as being able to gather more results." In discussing the different data collection methods for an employment verification program, three methods are presented. There is no mention of what presents "better results" but rather a presentation of the benefits and challenges of each. Additionally, if one were to claim a certain method has "better results," one would have to define what is meant by "results." If by results, one means more information collected, it may or may not be true. If by results, one means data integrity, I would have to say it is more likely verified information will have higher data integrity than self-reported (unverified) data. 

The three methods discussed were:

1. Questionnaire Survey Method: Self-reported employment data is collected (not verified) from graduates through a questionnaire administered by the institution.
  2. Interview Method: An interviewer from the institution works directly with respondents to collect, record, and verify employment data.
  3. Third-party Verifications: Institutions outsource collection and verification of graduate employment data to a vendor or have the vendor re-verify institutionally collected data.

Notice that "Interview Method" is not defined as being restricted to using a telephone. It is only defined as an "interviewer" working directly with respondents to collect, record, and verify employment data. This means a representative from the institution is doing all they can do to "collect, record, and verify." It does not mean they are restricted to "Telephone" interviews. Thus, an institution who uses the "Interview Method" likely has representatives doing all they can to collect and verify data such as emails, phone calls, social media messaging, etc. The distinction is not in the modality, but rather in the proactive one-on-one nature of aggressively trying to collect and verify data rather than relying on self-reported data alone that is not verified. 

- Robert 

Yes, it is based on the CS202 Course. When I think of an interview, I think of live interaction between the interviewer and the interviewee. I email questionnaires to graduates. This gets a higher return rate than telephone calls. I also do my best to verify & fact check the information they present so am I in category 1 or 2?

Hi Susan,

I see how "interview" can be misunderstood as being restricted to "live" or synchronous communication because of the traditional ways in which they have been conducted in the past. Given technology these days, things have changed. It's common to use a combination of methods to collect, report, and verify data. Some institutions use all three and some only use one method. It sounds like you use multiple methods. From what I'm hearing, you start with a survey to collect self-reported data. You then verify that self-reported data (I'm presuming verification is done through the employer or a third-party verification agency such as The Work Number). 

Susan, I guess I would have to ask what happens if during the verification of the self-reported employment data, you find a discrepancy? Additionally, what is done with the individuals who do not respond to the survey? If nothing happens, it sounds like the survey method is the only method used. If individual follow-up is done via phone, face-to-face, live chat, text, etc. to collect the missing data or to resolve discrepancies, both survey and interview methods are used.

Since you are curious about this topic, I'll share with you something I thought was interesting. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) puts out a "First Destination Survey" to report employment of recent graduates. Although they say it's a "survey," they include in their methodology self-reported data collected from social networks and even word-of-mouth information shared with Career Services offices. So, this information isn't actual survey response. As you know, the reliability of word-of-mouth and self-reported data is scrutinized.  

Reply to Michele Brinn's post

I haven't tried texting students yet, but I will try that this week.  I usually email and call, but at times, I don't get the best responses from calls.  With social media and technology these days, students and busy graduates seem to be on their phones a lot, so texting seems like a more efficient way to get a hold of someone.  

What type of texting service do you use when reaching out to students or graduates?  I mainly need to reach out to individuals, so that Career Services can schedule an appointment with the potential graduate or student to have them come in to complete their graduation checkout paperwork.  I work at a for-profit university, so this is a requirement in the environment I work in. 

I've only taking CS101 right now, so hopefully, I"ll learn more about effective ways of reaching out to students and graduates in my next courses.  WHat type of college setting or university do you work in?  I've only been working in Career Services for 4 months now, however, I've worked in higher ed for several years.  Mainly in recruitment and Student Affairs, focusing more on the student engagement and extracurricular opportunities for adult learners.  

How about you?

Looking forward to learning from one another. 

Regards,

Ryan N. Parks

Ryan,

I also work for a private for-profit university and the need to keep in touch with students and graduates is essential.  Texts do work better for me than email and voice messages.  I use my own phone's service - verizon.  I believe that there is a google text service that serves the purpose.  

Michele

Greetings everyone!

Thanks for responded Michele.  Sorry for my delayed response.  We work in similar work environments.  I am also taking the CS202 course for the first time. I work for a for-benefit for-profit institution, so placement metrics are a big part of what our department is measured by.  

Has anyone experienced working with graduates who are not even interested in providing employment information, even though it's required for Career Services employment data?  

I have learned to make sure I establish relationships early on with the students, however, since I have a new population of students, there are a lot of graduates who are alumni now, who I've never met before.  Some of which I still have to gather graduation paperwork and employment information.  What has been an effective method for you all to gather employment information from a graduate you've been having a hard time getting a hold of either via phone, text, email, etc.

Thank you for sharing our feedback!

Regards,

Ryan N. Parks 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities