Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions

Our Admissions dept does not think it is their responsiblity to help inform students about their obligations. Without talking about financial aid elligiblity how can they do a better job of information studnets of their responsiblities to pay back any loans they receive?

The Admissions Department is the best choice for collecting and verifying student and reference information because it is perceived as part of the enrollment process, not the financial aid or business loan process. It is also a good habit for the students to get into because they will have to also provide good references for job interviews in the future. Remember that default prevention begins the minute a potential student walks through your front door.

Just like primary/secondary education begins with Kindergarten and ends with High School graduation; the post-secondary education experience begins with admissions and ends with placement and default management. Admissions, like Kindergarten, is the foundation of the relationship and should be involved in the successful outcome of the students. Again, this makes a statement of what is important within the schools' walls.

Rod,
I think the suggestion that the lesson made about having the students complete paperwork that has the students current information (address, phone number & email) would probably be a great solution for your Admissions Dept. This can be included in the login or sign-in processes that students complete when they come in to speak with counselors or advisors.
This way, the employees in the Admissions office don't have to come face to face with reminding the students of their financial obligations. This will allow the financial aid office to keep current and updated contact information on the students.

I love that you mention the login or sign-in process.

Here is a suggestion for schools that have computer terminals available to students for admissions/registration purposes, to access the school catalog and class schedule, etc. You could create a login screen so that any time a student uses one of these computers they are prompted to enter/update contact information.

Thanks Kellee,
I am currently enrolled in online classes and that is the procedure that they follow as well. From the administrative prospective, I understand why this is a good way that type of information updating is done. It keeps all information current. From a students prospective, when completing this information, you don't really understand that this information is being obtained in order for the school to contact you for possible financial purposes as well. Wonderful idea!

Our accrediting agency actually forbids admissions counselors from discussing financial aid with leads, they require that financial information come only from the FA office.

Yes, that is correct. Admissions representatives can't talk about Financial Aid. It is fine for them to display posters, etc. about paying student loans without discussing any details of the loans.

We encourge the same "displays" throughout the school so that it represents a "state of mind" instead of any one department's responsibilty.

I have found that our admissions department is most willing to accomodate helping with default management when I am willing to help them increase admissions. For example, I help defaulted borrowers with the loan rehabilitation process so they can regain Title IV eligibility and come to our school. I also counsel potential grad students or others who are concerned about accumulating student loan debt on ways to avoid delinquency/default to help lesson their fears and increase the chances they will become our students.

I have the same problem at the 7 schools I oversee for default. I actually came from admissions and understand they do not want to speak about the $$ for fear the student will change their mind. I think the idea of having framed posters from EdFunds and racks with financial literacy information in the admissions offices are a great idea. I will be asking admissions at my campuses to do this.

Wow, Kellee this is a great idea. I'm going to suggest this to my IT people and see if it can be done. Right now our registrar is collecting changes each quarter and having to take the time to input each change in our system. This would save a lot of time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keeping financial literacy reminders about the campus is great for reminding students about their obligations. Rememeber to keep it simple and to the point so as not to overwhelm the student with too much information.

It's probably not a good idea to have the Admissions officers speak on matters of financial aid. As mentioned by others, I do believe it is prohibited for them to do so. Normally, they are not as well versed in the intricacies, nuances, and twists and turns of financial aid as a trained financial aid counselor.

The way we handle it is when we have a prospective student visitation, they allow a half hour or so for me to speak to the students about financial aid and allow them to ask questions. We are a post-graduate school of chiropractic, so the investment is significant to our students. I speak to them on the financial aid process, repayment options and budgeting aspects. Then I leave them with literature they can look back on later if they wish.

In addition, we have orientation on the first day of the quarter for new students. This is yet one more opportunity for me to convey my message. I do an old-fashion entrance counseling session where I instill the fear of God in them :-0

Third and final opportunity is "Clearance Day," which all graduating students are required to attend (or else they can't graduate). That's on the Tuesday of the week they're scheduled to graduate (on the following Friday). I go over all the repayment options once again and field questions from them. I do an old-fashioned exit counseling where they're reminded of their rights and responsibilities. They have already been instructed to do their electronic exit counseling online at nslds.ed.gov, and at Clearance Day they will turn in their confirmation of their exit(the "Congratulations" screen on NSLDS). No confirmation, no clearance (and no graduation). Believe me, they comply!

With these three significant venues at my disposal, I feel I have covered my bases.

I really like the idea of displaying financial aid information in the admissions office. I plan on taking this idea to our school director and hope to make some changes to our admissions office as well as our classrooms and student break areas. I think it will send a positive message to our student body of responsibility and obligation.

Jessica,

I am glad you plan to implement this suggestion! I think it is a great idea to post information in study areas, student lounge/break area, near the vending machines- anywhere that students are likely to meet or spend time!

Kellee Gunderson

My school director was on board with my idea of displaying information on how to be more financially responsible in the areas the students hang around the most. It just makes me feel good to know that I have the backing of our school director and staff.

Sign In to comment