Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Serving distance learning students

What are some creative ways to better serve distance learning students??

Hi Charles

A comprehensive student services department just for distance ed students is a must, in our opinion. And a great policies and procedures manual to assist distance ed students to get through their studies. Brainstorm all the ways to inspire, motivate, and captivate the distance learner. Look at the way successful online schools are delivering their programs and staying in touch with the student who is at a distance from the school. What ever strategies they must be consistent, ongoing, and get results. There are learning managmenet system companies who can provide information and assistance. Try EdTek as a start. Good luck, Susan

Very Good advice. I am currently an on-line learner and have found it to be very helpful and reassuring when I can easily contact my academic, financial and support (faculty) personnel when I need them. The other thing that this institution does is from time to time send a little gift in the mail along with planner tabs and reminder stickers of upcoming events, such as registration, financial aid deadlines etc.

Hi Mark
You have identified some secrets to online student retention. It is a challenge. The fact that you can easily access staff at the school is a plus. It keeps you connected, lowers frustration, and with answers you don't have to stop. Interesting about the gifts. Seems like they keep your attention and encourage you to look forward to hearing from the school. Very effective. Thanks, Susan

Hello Charles,

To better serve distance learners you must give the student a sense of community and prompt them to take action when necessary. Most distance learners are highly motivated self-starters who appreciate the ability to take training at their own pace (if asynchronous). Support staff need to be available longer hours to answer questions and be attentive to the student's needs. When I was studying for my Master's degree online I found it frustrating when I couldn't locate the appropriate person to answer my questions or had difficulty with technical support. Once these problems were solved I felt better about the instruction.

The school I attended provided follow up e-mails on just about everything, so I was never late with assignments and I knew how far along I was in the program. My instructors sent out motivational quotes and included relevant examples that I could apply in my current job.

Sign In to comment