Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing

How can an employee learn a manager is always busy and response is very short whenever he or she answers?

Hi Andrea!

As a manager, I would communicate with the employee that a quick response does not mean that I am upset or rude, or that the question is not important. It simply means that things are very busy at the moment.

However, if an employee asks a question and is obviously stressed, the manager must make a value judgment and prioritize whether or not time should be taken to handle the situation. Sometimes managers get so busy that they lose the sensitivity to their employees' needs. At that point, it is wise for the manager to slow down and address the employee's concern or question.

Additionally, I, as a manager, scheduled a time each day where I was completely available to employees for questions, issues, etc. Unless it was an emergency, that was the time to address such things.

Employees must realize that a manager's schedule is busy, but we must likewise never discount, or even appear to discount, an employee's question or concern.

Jay Hollowell
ML101 Facilitator

I think that it goes back to communication between an employee and their manager. In a one on one meeting, the two must address these issues. The employee must understand to not take it personally that their manager is always busy or is always short with them. In turn, a manager has to be approachable and open to the employee.

Eileen,

Thanks for the input. I think your second point about the manager being approachable and open can help that manager avoid the employee thinking they are "always (too) busy" for them. Managers must be empathetic to the needs of their people; giving time is paramount.

As a manager it is imperative that you communicate your management style to your employees, it is important for your employees to feel heard so a quick short response is not taken as "rude" or personal by the employee. Direct one on one communication with staff members is one way to avoid this miscommunication

It's a good idea for a manager to communicate their style, but the true test is the "action" of the manager. When a manager is always busy and gives short, abrupt responses, they demonstrate very clearly that they are too wrapped up in their own focus. To truly demonstrate caring and self-abandonment, the manager needs to put the employee first by being accessible and practicing active listening. When employees feel heard, they are inspired to commit and perform.

If the manager is unaccessible then they are projecting the image that they don't care about the employees input leading to the employees taking less of an active role in the business.

Beyond that the manager is also responsible for managing the employees doing their work. If the manager is too wrapped up in doing their own work then wouldn't you also say that they are not being a manager?

Readers,
I have shared in the roles of both manager and as one of the employees being managed. I have worked in both large and small organizations and the one thing that I have witnessed and recognized is the managers who communicate the most effectively within the organization and with their employees have a better morale from their employees because we have an agenda, a way to know our expectations. Also,it is an effective way to use both time and resources so that all involved have a productive working relationship. A weekly meeting by far produces the most results. How many of you attend a weekly meeting?

Kathleen,
You make some excellent points in your post & you are absolutely right regarding the importance of communication. When I worked in the corporate environment we had weekly meetings & these were very important times (provided the manager had thought through what needed to be discussed). These meetings don't need to be long, but they are a great way to stay connected, especially when there are virtual team members as they are not privy to the informal meetings/conversations occurring.
Ryan

The employee can find out when is the best time to communicate with their manager. The employee should not be afraid to take some responsibility in the relationship.
Finding out what the employee's limits are on decision making authority would be helpful to eliminate unnecessary communication that would take up time.
If the employee knew the manager's goals and objectives they would understand why they are busy and their response is short. If they need more detail or direction they should ask follow up questions. This also let's the manager know more time needs to be spent on the subject.

Melissa,
I think you make some great points. As much as I emphasize to leaders that they need to make time for employees, the flip side is understanding on the part of employees. While a leader/manager's job is to lead others, they generally have other duties as well & employees need to understand that they cannot always be at ready to help with clarification, etc.
Ryan

I agree. As head of the department I try to put myself in my employees shoes before I respond. I also try to empower them to make their own decisions so they can grow professionally.
If I am working on a project I will notify my staff that I will be working with my door closed and do not want to be disturbed for a period of time. They respect my wishes and will support me by not allowing anyone to disturb me during that time.
At weekly meetings, I also tell them my goals and objectives which also seems to help with minimizing interuptions and questions.
As long as I communicate, things seem to run smoothly. I believe in teamwork and am fortunate enough to have a staff that is on board with my leadership style.

Hi I believe by learning your managers style of communication,goals and expectations would provide more of an insight on their management style. Therefore creating a sense of understanding.

Hi I believe by learning your managers style of communication,goals and expectations would provide more of an insight on their management style. Therefore creating a sense of understanding.

As a Manager we are often overwhelmed by the meer number of things that must be done to keep a business or organization from going apart from staff management. Being a good Manager usually requires a strong attention to detail, and an ability to manage a lot of demands at once but always making time for your staff.

Kimberly,
Yes, if we can learn how our managers communicate we definitely stand a much better chance of developing the common understanding with him/her.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Hiram,
yes, it really is important to balance between managing tasks & leading people.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment