Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Newbie!

So I just became a manager of a team of 8. We have many issues to deal with and problems planning a meeting time that doesn't interfere with class schedules and team member availability. We have about an hour to allocate 2-3 times weekly to meeting, yet many issues to cover. This hour usually falls between classes. Can we effectively meet in 45-50 minute increments throughout the week, yet still have effective meetings in such a short amount of time?

Krista,

Yes it can be done. We need to use the techniques we have available. Much of a meeting can be set prior to the meeting through text, email or even individual meetings with Skype. The key to the meeting is to be clear on the necessary outcomes for the time spent. Break down the objectives and be realistic for each of the short periods of time for the meeting. At the end of the week accomplishments need to be analyzed and new follow ups need to be presented again the techniques introducing the direction for the week.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Agreed! I manage four instructors; half on day shift, half on night shift. If I didnt have short departmental meetings, I'd be in quite a bind. Usually, the shorter the meeting the better. Dr. Calson is dead on! We can have short efective meetings provide the person leading the meeting has all the issues laid out and ready to go! I evaluate and stop in from time to time but largely I rely on those short meetings to "tune up" my night shift.

Chad,
Meetings with a purpose are always useful. When you plan and have your meeting the objectives need to be clear to your participants. If you can keep on the goal of the meeting you have had a good meeting.

Dr. Gary Carlson

When you meet with time limits, you have to focus on 1 vital area at a time, then move to the next if time permits. Preparing the group you are meeting with ahead of time helps.

Andy,
Both good practices. Preparation means no surprises for the team. When you can prepare your team with the necessary tools for success you will meet with a completed task. By communicating with your people you avoid many points of confusion. Sequence events so the job is accomplished appropriately.

Dr. Gary Carlson

We have small teams and the way we handle your situation is to do daily 5-10 minute huddle, but leave the main points of discussion for the weekly team meeting. The important think is that everyone is communicating.

Lisa,
It is important for your people to have ownership of the issues and process. This is a great way to get input and positive feedback. This is much better than having the huddles in the teacher lounge or lunch room unorganized.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I think if you schedule wisely and come with an agenda that fits the time you have alloted for the meeting, it can be done! I like to meet with my instructors weekly just to see how their week went, convey any issues i have, and answer questions they might have for me. It usually takes less than an hour.

STEVE,
You have the technique that works for you. When the leader of the meeting has a good grasp on the expectations of the meeting outcome needs it makes it easier for the participants.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment