Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like using google voice

I recommend using google voice because it allows you to text with your students and for them to call you on your cell phone without giving out your cell phone number.  It's a great app to use in fostering positive relationships with your students.

I use this as well! It is a great tool.  Have you figured out a way to save contact names? This is my only struggle with this app. Thanks!

I have some collegues who use Google Voice and seem to like it. I believe the benefit is not paying for a phone line, although I'm not 100% certain about that since I do not have Google Voice. I understand an 800 number is given so callers can call you. A personal phone number is not provided to students, only the 800 number. I may look into getting Google Voice for my work.

Where do you find google voice?  this sounds like exactl ywhat I need for my hybrid class.

We use google voice in a number of different areas of the school, admission, financial aid, student services and career services. I love that it allows the school to reach out via verbally and text and we change the area code so that the students feel more connected that someone from their area is reaching out to contact them versus 800#

Hi All! 

I have also found Google Voice to be extremely helpful in communicating with my online students.  Two major advantages seem to stand out above the rest in my experience using it for the past year:

-Google Voice has helped me to distinguish between students calling/texting vs. the rest of the communication that comes through my phone. This has been very helpful, because I know that when "Google Voice" is calling me it is one of my students, and this gives me a quick heads up that I will be speaking with a student (as opposed to a telemarketer, dr.'s office, or other random caller). 

-I find Google Voice to be MUCH easier to manage on my laptop instead of trying to sort out all of the communication (especially texts) on my phone.  It allows me to be more organized, more efficient, and helps to ensure that I don't accidentally miss any communication from one of my students that is reaching out for assistance. 

I would recommend Google Voice to anyone who is considering adopting it as another method of communication! :) 

It is a great tool, I use it with my students and it works

Sign In to comment