Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussion Rubrics can sometimes be woefully vague!

I have found that the discussion rubrics in the canned portion of our course can be a bit too vague for fine grading. I have added some rules of my own to the syllabus...for example...one rubric we use states, "original post that answers the question and submitted by Wednesday" 20 points. "two original posts in response to your fellow students that are more in content than 'I agree', 'You are right', etc." 2.5 points a piece.

Not quite a clear and concise explanation. SO I add in the syllabus that proper grammar is required. Also, if it is a science related discussion, they must have the proper citations.

The instructor has final say in how all of theses tools are used and I try to take that responsibility seriously.

Alice,

Excellent. You have to be able to tweak the rubrics to meet your needs and to help students achieve the learning outcomes. Many times "canned" rubrics someone else makes up does not meet our needs. Thanks!

I agree with you Alice, I put a premium on the student supporting their opinion with a citation. It is part of the academic process.

Patricia,

Yes, it's good to have them support what they are saying and not simply have an opinion. I agree.

Alice,
I like the modifications you made to include more specifics in the grading rubric. Did you have to get permission from the school to do that? I've tried to adjust the requirements for my students but had been told that I had to wait until the official rubric is changed.
Melissa

Melissa,

It is imperative that you can edit the rubric to ensure it is measuring exactly what you need to measure. Sometimes "canned" rubrics do not work well. Keep trying. Thanks!

Alice:

I find the citation issue to be consistently problematic. It is addressed by the school in its materials for the student and I address it thoroughly up front at the beginning of class as well as during the first week or two. Consistently, they fail to do this part of the assignment. I do not know how to gain compliance for this requirement. I have sent individual e-mails as well as general discussion on the topic.

/Randy

Randy and Alice,

Thanks for your input. I like it when two or three of you can "play" off each other posts. I try to encourage my students to do the same. Thanks for your input.

Good approach!
We need to stress some measurable items such as due date, etc... since this also helps develop character traits that the student will need in the real world. I also have a place for a very positive comment on the effort as well as a separate place for a short list of items to work on.
This helps the student identify key areas and not be lost in a sea of words.
Have an awesome day.
John

John,

Rubrics, clear expectations and due dates all help students reach the course goals and stay on task.

Keep it up!

I think that what is absolutely essential w/in a discussion rubric is a clear linkage to the course objective and learning outcomes. That must be present, if it's not then how is it a true assessment tool for the course?

Brandon,

Anything we can connect to the learning outcomes is essential. It helps the students understand why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

I have that problem as well, so I address it in the rubric. The APA/References criterion is worth 5% of the total points for that post and no references is an automatic zero. Most stop leaving them off by the second week.

cindi ,

Good point. When it is in the rubric and students see the consequences of not including them, they will begin to conform. Thanks for your input.

Alice,

Rubrics should be more detailed as you note. If a grading rubric is too vague, then there might as well not be a grading rubric. I note that they should post to the DB answers in sufficient detail to demonstrate their ability to analyze information, use correct grammar/spelling, post responses that are three or more sentences in length and directly respond to the original answer, etc.

Frances

Frances,

There is s fine line between being too vague and being too detailed. Just make sure the criteria are appropriate and connected to the learning objectives. Thanks for continuing the conversation.

Sign In to comment