Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning - Is it really feasible in ALL courses?

As an instructor in a pharmacy calculations course, am I wondering what others' thoughts are on active learning.  Is it really possible to do in ALL types of courses?  I'm really struggling with how this could be incorporated into this course.

I have never taught a pharmacy calculations course. In my opinion, as an educator, I believe that active learning can be implemented in all types of courses. I have incorporated meaningful and relevant learning strategies to promote active learning in Math, Computer Science, Desktop support, and History courses. Examples of learning strategies that I have used include step-by-step video tutorials, PowerPoint videos, interactive Q&As, connecting course content to current events’ or current technologies’ discussions, transforming study guides into puzzles, using case method teaching, and having students do in-class role-plays.

Yes, it is possible to incorporate active learning in all types of courses.  It can be challenging to think of ways to creatively bring active learning into a course involving science and math.  I would research what is already out there (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138343/) as well as talk with other instructors in your area for ideas.  In addition to the examples listed already, real world scenarios or simuations are an excellent way to bring active learning into the course as well as give students an idea of practical application.  

I think active learning can work in most of the courses. Its important how is it incorporated and which tools are used to fit different learning styles. Visual, auditory Kinesthetic and other learning styles may need different activity and interactivity.

Regards

Javaid

Active learning can work in any course with any content.  If there is a component that the students must practice in calculations then have them coloborate in small groups using email or the LMS message function.  Have them email you the collaboration of messages "trail" for assessment or accoutablility.  Make sure that the exercise is tied to the objective and or outcomes.  Does this sound like something that would be possible in your course?

Best,

Mike

I do not think everything can be learned totally online. I believe somethings require hands on teaching. In my case I teach in an ultrasound lab and I think it would be impossible to do it completely online.

Sign In to comment