Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alienated

I once had a student who worked on a boat in the northern waters. He was on the boat for several days at a time. I remember a typing assignment he had to complete and complained the boat moved so much it made that work very difficult. Understanding his situation I worked with him and allowed for another typing assignment submission. This student was alienated in a sense but worked through the situation and made decent grades.

Marie,

I appreciate that you made reasonable accommodations for this student. You didn't just remove the assignment, instead you provided an environment for the student to succeed as all of the others were in the class. I do not see anything wrong with making reasonable accommodations for students - it also helps with retention.

Herbert Brown III

I, too, have had students who are in difficult situations and require some common sense decisions on my part. It is so important to let the student know that their instructor cares about their success and is willing to work with them within reasonable limits!

joyce,

This is huge to the students. I have found that I sometimes build even stronger bonds with my online students than my on-campus students. I believe it is because I do have to be more aware of my online student's lives and concerns and am more likely to have to make reasonable accommodations for the online students. I would also do it with my on-campus students to be fair, but they are less likely to need it.

Herbert Brown III

I have many students who are in the military and they have limited internet access. Needless to say late penalties do not apply much :)

Sign In to comment