Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Key to Success in the class

What other methods can instructors use to egage students in the course?

Romanda,

Gosh - let me count the ways. Ha! I like to engage the students in discussion boards by putting a group or individual in charge of facilitating the discussion for a particular question. I also like to have open synchronous meetings where students can come ask questions or share information. These work for me. What have you tried that works?

Yes, I agree. Online instruction is at its most challenging when encountering those students who, for whatever reason, fall behind.
It’s our responsibility as on-line instructors and facilitators to encourage these students to return to the fold.
We don’t often succeed, unfortunately. However, we must make the effort, as we would in a face-to-face learning environment.
I find that persistent encouragement through email and open-forum discussions helps to re-build the confidence of students—as well as offering them the opportunity to improve the quality of their work.

joseph,

We do have those students who procrastinate. We have to model good time management skills and help them develop the same. Thanks!

I love the idea of sharing information. However, some students will take it too far and sometimes "borrow" information" from other students. You have to be careful not to have too many concrete assignments in the Discussion Board area.

Keith,

Good point. That "borrowing" or "admire and acquire" do happen. I think it's good to have a statement in the syllabus about this as well. You could put that in the Netiquette or Course Policies sections. Thanks!

I find that flexibility in due dates is important. When a student realizes that I am understanding, the student usually is so appreciative that he/she works very hard to comply even if it takes extra time.

I also find that personal emails and phone calls are very effective if they are directed toward the student that is borderline passing. It seems to provide the extra show of care that the student needs to feel motivated to submit the work and thus, pass the class.

Karen,

We all have different ways of communicating that we feel is comfortable with. It's good you have a couple that work for you. Thanks!

Karen,

We do have to be understanding, but they also have to be responsible. We have to keep this in mind. Thanks for your input.

Since students are not always required to attend and participate in live chats, I have found a way that works to increase student involvement. By creating and using interactive quizzes, students actively become involved in learning the course content. These inactive quizzes are not graded. Students participate to learn rather than to earn a grade.

William,

Like your last statement. When students do this, the engagement is meaningful. Thanks for sharing.

Motivating Students!

Just complimenting them and "admiring" their work helps the student with self-esteem when they are doing early courses.

I often tell them "I applaud you", "You are a role model to other students with your knowledge", "Thank you for being active in class", and simply just saying Thank you. Words are significant and how often does it take a second to say something profound and nice!

Maureen,

I like your use of the term "admiring" students work. It's great to be positive and help motivate students. They will then want to participate more. Thanks for your input.

In my weekly announcements I tell them what the chat topics will be and try to talk them up to spark their curiosity. Asking them questions in the discussion board also helps.

Janis,

Effective questions can go a long way. Anytime you can do that and develop their curiosity, they will be more motivated to participate in the discussions. Thanks.

Karen,
I have also tried this approach and at times it has back fired on me. Some students are grateful and work harder to the comply the next time and others take advantage of the flexibility and always has excuses when its time to turn in assignments in a timely manner. Anyone has any suggestions for a happy medium?

Lainisha and Karen,

We have to keep trying new things to see what works and what doesn't work is something we have to continue to do. Keep trying new things.

Thanks!

I would say that the things that engage my students that are outside the norm would be:

1) A sense of humor.
2) Teach them something new and strange. For example, I taught my students how to make cut out dolls to animate... they loved it and I got some wonderful results.

Michael,

What do you teach? Sounds like a fun class. ;-)

Sign In to comment