Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

class room expectations

When we loose control of a classroom we also loose the respect of the students. I find that students respect instructors who are friendly but not a 'FRIEND"

I agree. I think that overall, respect for students is a key component in being successful in all the aspects presented in this course...from developing policies, maintaining a positive learning environment, classroom activities and management, and proactive dicscipline.

After doing this course, I have found that I probably lean toward the "buddy" role. I find this has afforded me great rapport with my students. However, on one ocassion I was approached by a student regarding disruptions caused by another student in class. Ultimately, I spoke with the disruptive student and received positive feedback from the concerned student the following class (since the disruptions had ceased). This experience and this training opened my eyes to the line between buddy/guide teaching methods.

Yes a friendly instructor still maintains that "I am concerned about your education and want to make it an positive and enjoyable learning experience" environment without taking the risk of fraternization.

Kirstie, great phrase - friendly but not a "FRIEND". That really puts it all in perspective. We has instructors need to have intelligent hearts which means to be smart about how we care for our students. We cannot take the place of their parents or lack of parenting in their life but we can be role models and leaders by example. Challenge your students but show compassion when the situation is appropriate. Know your organizations stance on how the rules are to be administered and when some accommodations can be made to assist students that fall outside the intentions of the rules. I know this can sound like double speak to some but the focus is to be firm yet fair and to be consistent but not robotic.

James Jackson

Aaron, great to hear the class is making sense and giving you some thinking points. The true focus is to give you some tools to use that may assist you in reaching your goals of higher achievement in meeting your learning objectives and student retention. Students that are retained can go on to be great ambassadors for the institution and for the subject matter you teach.

James Jackson

In my years of teaching, I have found that maintaining a kind of professional distance from one's students is most important.

It is possible for this statement to be misconstrued to mean a teacher should be aloof, but that is not so. Teachers should be cordial and helpful, never out of sorts or ill-humored. They are truly guides as well as teachers in whom students place great trust. The teacher is the captain of the ship, so to speak, and students have a right to expect that they will be guided safely to their goal.

Teachers should learn to call each student by his or her first name and show genuine interest in the students' progress and sincere concern for their personal issues. A student's privacy must be shielded at all times. I do not believe, for example, that teachers should discuss among themselves a student in any but respectful and measured terms.

A line has to be drawn, however, so that, as one contributor wrote, the teacher does not become a friend, as it were, just as the commanding officer, while being just and fair, cannot afford to be a buddy to the troops. When that line is crossed, students may like the teacher more, on the one hand; but on the other, they will inevitably lose some respect. When that happens, either quickly or gradually the teacher's moral authority will erode in the students' eyes, and the teacher will lose control of the class to one degree or another. It is very difficult to salvage that once it has been damaged.

The course, by the way, was very valuable. I am, in fact, looking forward to incorporatng many of the ideas into my own classes.

Steve

Yes I agree. Dealing with the adult student I find if you treat them the way you would want to be treated works very well.

Robert, well stated. As instructors we need to always be mindful of how students perceive our actions. We must lead by example and do not have the luxury of just being ourselves. Not only do we treat our students the way we want to be treated but we also need to remember to NOT treat our students negatively if they are negative towards us. We take the higher road and always focus on the first statement, continue to treat them the way we want to be treated and kill them with kindness.

James Jackson

I agree there has to be a line between the teacher and student. The student has to realize that the teacher is not a friend but a teacher. The teacher has to be in charge of the classroom. It has to be understood that the teacher sets the rules and policies. The teacher states the expectations and the student has to understand what their responsibilities are. Good lines of communications have to be developed so that required information freely flows effectively between all of the parties. The students have to be comfortable in the classroom so that they can ask question and have their questions answered. We have to be understanding, respectful and always mindful of the fact that our objective is to prepare our students for the work place.

The line becomes more difficult as young students expect electronic responses on phones and i-pads. An instructor needs to be careful about the types of material sent and the questions that can be answered in the classroom.
The teacher needs to remain the teacher and not a "buddy" or facebook "pal"

Sign In to comment