Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

SURPRISE

I really liked this idea. I have taken it and formed a crisis based on my tech school problems that could arise. This will be a great addition to the class.

Guy,
I think you are going to really like the results you get with this method plus your students are going to be excited about working through it and coming up with solutions to the crisis.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Surprise can also be a guest speaker or a special part or tool that brings new technology or techniques to your course of study. When you 'spice up' the learning you have an opportunity to grab the students’ attention and get them re-energized in learning. All of this can go a long way in helping to keep the students coming back for more!

Rich,
Surprises can come in all forms, sizes and formats. The key is that something or someone new is introduced to the learning process and gets students excited about what is being shared. Good point.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A guest speaker works perfectly. I have done couple of times and you could see the interest in the students. Great way to keep them engaged.

Carlos,
I use them a lot in my classes because they really generate interest among students when they talk about what they are doing and how their courses helped to prepare them for their careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have compiled a huge list of musical clips from TV shows and movies. I work in brief "Jeopardy-type" mind breaks that tie into the discussion, and it always re-engages my students!

Ginger,
Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to help your students to reset their minds at different times through out a class session.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The use of a simulated crisis is an excellent idea. As students go through the exercise, it gives them simulated, yet practical experience with situations they will not only encounter as they continue in the learning process, but in the career field.

Tracy,
My students really like doing these simulated crisis exercises. They get really involved and sometimes I have to remind them that this is only a simulation so they can relax a bit and not take everything too seriously.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Do you recommend any sites for ideas on medical crisis exercises that are not too difficult for the beginning student? Specifically some exercises that illustrate good critical thinking skills?

Carla,
Hopefully some of our instructors in the medical field will be able to provide you some sites. If I were teaching a beginning course I would come up with a simple medical crisis such walking into class holding my arm and explain I slipped on a step coming into class and I think I hurt my arm. I don't know if it is broken, sprained or what. I am feeling faint, my pulse is fast and I am sweating profusely. What should be done to stabilize so I can get the attention I need. I know this is more in the EMT or first aid area but it does get their attention and you can go from there with your lesson.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We did a variant of this based on re-reading a couple of news reports of a healthcare case based from a nursing standpoint. It helped them identify how much they really do know, as well as demonstrating why it's often important to seek more information.

Kimberly,
Thank you for sharing this example with us. This activity helps them to analyze as well as do some reflective thinking both of which they will need when out in the field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment