Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Goals

Helping students understand career goals need to be based upon informed decisions, realistic aspirations, and meaningful outcomes.In addition, it helps when the students to work through these three career goal components as they progress through the course.

Yolanda,
This is so important because without the students understanding this three they may not be ready for the career they are preparing to enter. So the more information, realism and outcomes they can see and observe the greater their satisfaction will be with the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students attend college to pursue a career in a specific industry. Assisting students in identifying short term goals, an action plan, and gaining real life experience while in school can make a difference in their educational/career outcome. A lot of students have long term goals lined up and it is very important to focus on short achievable and realistic goals the students can focus on to launch their career path. Realistic aspirations helps students remain motivated.

Lissete,
Support is needed by students throughout their educational journey. So the more you can help them to see the long term outcomes from achieving short term objectives the more valuable the course will be to the students. Keep up the good work of helping them stay on track in their career quest efforts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I totally agree with the concept goal setting is/arekey to succsses

Rima,
Without clear goals and objectives students do not know where the course is going and thus they are unable to stay on target in terms of learning growth. The goals and objectives tell them where the course is going and what they are going to have to do to stay up with the movement of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having students submit weekly goals would have a tangible expression towards their motivating factors. This could also count as easy extra credit. Thoughts?

Steven,
I think this is an effective way to show students they are making progress in their career development as well as helps them stay in contact with the goals they have set for themselves. I have a part of my grading called Professional Points where these types of activities are scored. Students work really hard to earn these Professional Points because they know they are doing value added work to help them make career progress.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment