Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students that dont seme to care to learn

How do you deal with students that you know can
be something if they would only listen and learn what you are trying to teach them

Hi Mike, Thanks for your post to the forum. The trick is to get our students engaged in their own learning. The first step is to identify their learning styles. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

I teach at a very fast paced VN program. Much of the time when asking the questions you get dead silence. Nobody cares to answer no matter how long you wait. Tried rephrasing, redirecting, calling students for answers. Seems they just want to be spoon fed all the answers. Praise seemed to work in the beginning, but now has also come up empty. What do you do with the working adult who is too tired to care about half the time?

Hi Susan, As much as possible, I like to relate what we are learning to what they may already know. Susan

Susan Polick

I think moving forward I'm going to try the minute paper and having them reflect on their behavior and how effects their learning. See if I can wake a few up.

Hi Susan,Thanks for your post to the forum. I know that you will find using the Minute Papers useful! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

I believe the key is connecting the material and the benefit of the material presented to each individual student. When a student fully understands their benefit for this knowledge, they become invested in the class and are encouraged to explore their potential.

Good point Jenny! When students grasp the relevance of what they are learning they retain the concepts that we are teaching. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

Sign In to comment