Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brand new instructor

Hello,

I just recently started my first adjunct position. I was hired rather late in the process -- only received my textbook and syllabus for the course I'm teaching 3 days before classes started. I'm finally at the point where I'm not feeling completely frantic about preparing, but I also feel that I am unable to devote as much time as I would like to preparing in some instances.

Fortunately, a detailed syllabus was provided for me, so I have been working off of that. But do you have any pointers on how I can better prepare for classes? Currently, I'm reading the chapter myself, pulling what I think is pertinent information and using the instructor resources to put together a PowerPoint for the lectures. But at the same time, I feel that I'm sometimes doing a disservice to the students because I don't have the time to supplement the material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cynthia,
One strategy you could use is to put your students into study groups of 3-4 and have them research and then present content on their assigned topic. They could do this in the form of a panel so each person would have content to present during the time they are sharing. There is a saying the goes "To teach is to learn twice, once as a student and once as a teacher." By assigning topics to students they get to learn it as students and present it as teachers. This will enhance their retention of the content. Also, instead of you having to prepare an in-depth lecture on the topic you can let them present the content and you can supplement it with handouts and/or case studies, etc.. I think you find your students really like doing these types of presentations. To help shy students I have my student panels present by sitting behind a table. Since there are 3-4 of them and they are sitting behind a table they don't get so nervous. Also, they know they each have so many minutes to present their information so they get right to the heart of the information. Also, the other students in the class pay attention because they all know that before long it will be their turn to share.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

That is a GREAT idea. This also helped me....as a brand new instructor. I am facing the same anxiety of preparation. I will use this technique and we can "learn together" the information.
Thanks!

Coming from a brand new instructor myself, being new doesn't have to be a stressful situation. I was kind of thrown in too, having no teaching experience. I agree with the groups of 3-4, having them present material from one chapter in 3 different ways (of course depending how many groups you have). And even developing a pre- approved quiz for the receiving audience, just to see how receptive they were. Ha! And I thought I was clever by coming up with this. But it seems its been done before, and has worked quite well! And the more I do it, the better I adjust the guidelines for there presentations and project as a whole. It becomes more efficient and organized. Not to mention exercises there public speaking and gives them a chance to experience things from where the instructor stands. Gives them a new respect for your position.

Cavon,
Congratulations on your progress so far as a professional educator. You are finding all kinds of different ways to engage your students. A lot of teaching as you are learning is common sense and observation. The more of both that you use the wider your expertise base will be. Keep up the growth and enjoy sharing your knowledge with your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am a brand new instructor as well, so this suggestion is invaluable. I have taught 2 sessions now and I find that with the 3rd session starting in a week I am still apprehensive and experiencing severe anxiety. I am having a hard time motivating some of my students and I think this idea will help with this problem. Thank you.
The only other question that I have is how do you motivate a student who only does the minimum requirement and nothing more?

Cindi,
You ask a very good question that all of us veteran instructors have dealt with. Not sure of the exact answer to this question. The solution depends a lot on the student and why he or she is in the class. I would talk privately with the student and try and determine the reason for being in the class and how you can support him or her doing work at a higher level and with more enthusiasm. I would also ask the student about ideas for special projects that meet the course requirements to see if that would motivate more effort. This approach will help you reach some students and some you will never get motivated. When this happens I feel bad but I focus my attention on those that want to be in the class and strive to help them learn as much as they can about the field.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is such an innovative way for the students to reinforce the material to others in the class! I am also a new instructor and love this teaching method!

Everett,
I wish you much success with your teaching. I hope you enjoy being a part of the career development of your students and they shaping of their careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am also a new instructor but I've many people thought I had been in the field for years. I got my book the day before the class started. Luckily, I have a passion for Accounting so preparing for the class wasn't difficult. My problem was controlling the classroom. I had several student's who were disruptive. Once I controlled that, everything else fell into place. I did have to switch from the traditional instructor mode of teaching to a more group style setting. I found out quickly that my student's learned better by being actively involved so I let them go to the board and do problems as a group. This style of teaching has gotten me more involved with the student's learning techniques and also I can better understand what each of my student's needs are. This teaching mechanism also gets my student's attention and they are more eagerly to learn the concept and processes of Accounting.

Raven N. Owens

Raven,
Professional development as an educator is an ongoing process and you have been able to find your style as well as your most effective strategies for engaging your students in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. I find it very difficult to motivate all students. So many will just show up to be here, but have absolutely no interest in the content.

Jennifer,
With students like this you can only do the best you can and even if the students don't respond you need to feel that at the end of the class session you have done all you can do to deliver the content. Some students have not made the shift from being secondary students to adult (no matter their age) students so they do not or will not assume any responsibility for their own future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Great idea. This will also help the students focus and will add variety to their learning experience.

Sign In to comment