Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED109, lesson plans

I feel that lesson planning (as in my situation) that constitute 6 or more hours of lecture, planning and schedueling are important. However, I also think that appropriate breaks out of the classroom IE: 30 min or even more every 2-hours to apply practical hands on exercises having to do with or in conjunction with the lecture material are even more appropriate than the lecture material. all day in the classroom is too much.

raymond,

I agree. Instructors have to pay attention to the "attention span" of their students and plan breaks accordingly. Limiting or removing breaks may prove to be "counter productive" if the students are not able to comprehend the lecture or retain the information.

Tremayne Simpson

i also agree, breaks are as important as the material covered. I cover the material needed to complete the learning objectives for the course but have found that test scores and retention actuall improves if the students have some down time to process the material.

jorge,

Indeed..."overloading" your students with content is not beneficial, unless they are able to fully comprehend the lecture. Spreading a topic over a couple of class sessions is definitely worth the effort and it may enable the students to retain the information at a higher-pace.

Tremayne Simpson

Lecture is a very important part of class,it gives the students the basic knowledge for the course. But I find hands on work alot more helpfull.

Curtis ,

I agree with your point and that is why it is important for instructors to have a "balanced" instructional approach. "Hands on" activities are generally fun, however the lecture is necessary, in order to discuss the topic and provide insight. Incorporating both elements into every class session can be quite "taxing", however the approach can improve student retention of information.

Tremayne Simpson

I mix hands on with my classroom time when we talk about a component we will have in front of the student so they can take it apart with me

The hands-on break from lecture is one of the best ways I have found to keep my students from going bonkers with boredom. AND, it helps keep me fresh as well. Win-Win.

Some times I even get bored during lecture, especially when you give the same lecture twice a day. I put funny slides in the power point to kind of wake every one up.

Jackie,

I agree. In addition, providing "hands-on" activities/assignments, can serve as an individual assessment of the students' application of information. Of course, if they are successfully able to complete an activity, they are able to understand the concept.

Tremayne Simpson

Rebecca,

Most instructors can relate to a little "boredom", whenever they have to repeat lectures. I find that providing periodic, open-ended discussion questions (during the lecture), will always keep it interesting. With each class, you receive different answers and discussions, which provide a "spark" to the lectured topic.

Tremayne Simpson

This is a great method to ensure a "brain break" for students who need time for the material to compress.

Most of my students tell me they are "hands on learners". I am constantly trying new ways to keep them interested in the lecture. Asking questions of the people who appear to be disengaging works quite well for me. We MUST get the basic knowledge out there before we can take them out to the lab for hands on work. Tying the book learning to the hands on learning seems to be the trick. When my student STAY engaged during the basic knowledge part (lecture)and then apply it to the practical learning (lab) I get my best retention and positive attitudes in each session if this happens.

Sign In to comment