Understanding CTE | Origin: ED501
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Getting Started as an Information Technology Instructor --> Understanding CTE
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
What I Learned from the Understanding CTE Module:
This module reinforced for me that CTE is much more than teaching technical skills—it is about creating meaningful connections between academics, career skills, and real-world experiences. Looking at CTE programs across the district, I see how different schools provide students with opportunities to explore careers, earn industry-recognized skills, work with professionals, and create authentic products.
As a Media Arts teacher at Fairview High School, I want to continue strengthening those connections in my program. I will incorporate more real-world projects, industry partnerships, career pathways, certifications, and opportunities for students to build professional portfolios. I also want students to understand how skills such as communication, problem-solving, collaboration, creativity, and meeting deadlines apply beyond the art classroom.
The module also reinforced the importance of equity and access in CTE. I want every student to have access to technology, equipment, creative opportunities, and career experiences regardless of their previous experience or background. By learning from successful CTE programs throughout the district, I can continue developing a Media Arts program that prepares students not only for college and careers, but also to become confident, creative, and adaptable problem-solvers.