Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Overcoming Networking Apprehensions

How can you help the veteran student overcome networking insecurities?

We actually invite them (as well as other students having the same barriers) to attend networking events with us. Perhaps the first one is more of a presentation/panel and less time for networking - gives them a taste. Then, me might take them to your typical networking event and gradually get them active in discussions, even to the point where they are introducing themselves, not us! Also, we will ask alumni who will be there to seek us out and chat with the students - helps SO much.

Do you use outside opportunities such as Hiring Our Heroes events or MOAA job fair opportunities? Also, do you find that your alumni with a military background are more successful in mentoring potential employees than are those without military experience? Or do you find that your military students look more for a pure civilian experience believing that those who "grew up" in the civilian world of more benefit? I can see the benefits of using both types of "mentors", but was curious as to what you have found to be the more beneficial trend.

We do and actually have a few dedicated employees who focus on veteran groups. Also, 100% YES regarding military alumni assisting our students. Initially, they are fantastic at lowering the anxiety of current veteran students. It is great to get the perspective of someone who has been in the same situation. I can also see how they could benefit from the civilian mentor, but perhaps that is a benefit of the internship?

We run workshops for the veteran students in our programs, focused on helping them to role play through what networking is like. This " no-pressure" approach, which allows them to see the concept and examine it first, before they ever are put in a position to actually do it for real, has proven to be highly effective for our students.

In addition, we use our contacts with local user groups, employers, and industry professionals to be able to schedule " exclusive " events that we sponsor and run on our campuses to allow the students to have access to networking opportunities without the added pressure of unfamiliar surroundings and the added stress of navigating unfamiliar territory and a room full of strangers.

Nice approach. Are there veterans who are part of your contacts who can provide networking advice from the veteran viewpoint? What advice do you give your students about the use of business cards during networking? As students, the veterans may not see the importance of a "calling card" since they technically aren't working, but a "leave behind" opens the door for a followup at a later date. Do you agree, or is there a better approach?

Dr. Williams:

We inform our students the importance of establishing a professional online profile through LinkedIn --due to the type of jobs they will be searching. We inform them that they need separate their personal activities. Their Facebook account is widely used for personal related activities. Therefore we ask them to establish their own professional profile by going over the 'benefits, features and abilities' that LinkedIn has.

Linked-in is a great tool, although I have seen many recommendations not to buy the premium package as it doesn't really add much to a job search. Facebook is a double edged sword. Employers absolutely do look at facebook pages and will gain an impression from what they find on a candidates. If you were to look at my page, you will find around 200 pictures that have been posted . . . none of which I posted. I often go through my profile to make sure that I approve of what is there. So far I haven't had to delete any pictures or information. I coach my students to do the same.

Veteran students can be assisted to overcome networking securities if they are briefed occasionally regarding how to give and take while online, how to be cautious when posting images, the type of friends they add to their network...basically using intelligence, and utilizing gut feelings before navigating. In the end if something seems too good to be true, this might certainly be a trap.....

Sandra,

You hit on a valuable point - veterans not only must figure out how to come across in a positive manner face-to-face, but must also do the same in the online environment. Too many times I have read veteran posts that indicate a cynical and jaded response that sometimes turns off and many times anger other in the room. This only perpetuates the idea that all veterans are damanged and broken in some manner and that the community as a whole is not to be trusted. A littel coaching on how to create an appropriate online presence will go a long way to destroying these stereotypical myths.

I traditionally work on them to set up a LinkedIn profile so they have a digital presence. After that I go over the 10 major do's and don'ts of social media so we can go over how they should conduct themselves online. I also give them key people and organizations they should connect with, based on their career goals.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities