Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Turning Wrongs Around

What debunking stereotype strategies have you found to be successful?

We have a very large student population in general, and veterans make up a big portion of our population. Our porograms are " mixed ", meaning that they are not strictly enrolled into by any one type of student. As a result, a typical class will have veterans as well as non-veterans in it. As an instrcutor, I am constantly looking for ways to communicate more effectively with all of my students, and ensure that they are able to communicate effectively with each other as well, both in and out of the classroom.

I use the following technique in order to address sterotypes at the beginning of my classes:

As part of the standard introduction that I ask every student to provide ( who are you, why are you here, what are you looking to accomplish, etc... ) I ask them to share with everyone one experience that they have had where they feel that their intentions, or actions were misrepresented, or misunderstood, and then to explain what they did to correct the situation. The outcome is ususally a great discussion about sterotypes and how they can cause confusion and distraction if they are allowed to go unchallenged.

The clear message I convey to my students is to always " present what you represent " to anyone that you meet. Help that person to understand you by clearly understanding yourself and offering a clear picture of what that understanding means.

Adam, since your classes are mixed, do you sometimes find your veterans to be reticent about sharing their true feelings during the introduction? Or do you find that veterans take awhile to warm up to the class? At the end of a term, do you find that your veteran students have changed in how they approach their education? Finally, great comment about "present what you represent". What kind of feedback do you get from your students about this particular axiom?

Dr. Williams:

I strongly believe that you need to remind our students who have served that they are very competitive individuals and that they have set skills that other students (who never served) do not have. They need to communicate effectively how they manage complex and/or stressful scenarios. Also that they posses leadership skills to lead and follow.
Moreover that they have developed certain skills that enables them to be quick learners and that they are able to adapt to changes.

Gustavo,

You are so right. The challenge we run into is that many veterans need coaching on the best way to demonstrate those competencies. I advocate that Corporate HR and the veteran need to meet half way. As veterans we can't expect for the rest of the world to bend to us, but we can try to educate HR on the skills that veterans bring to the job. If you were the coach, what would be the three things that you would tell a veteran to do in an interview to put their best foot forward?

Often, it takes a while for the veterans to warm up. once the ice is broken, they open up and feel more receptive. My intentions is always to form a cohesive group of individuals regardless of their background race and age. It is important to emphasize that today's work force, is based on been a team player, working toward a common goal. Once you gain a veteran confidence and trust, you have a friend for life. They will continue to request for your help and guidance during and after they have completed their studies at the learning institution, most veterans do not like an administrative figure dictating orders to them.

EDUARDO,
What specifically do you do in your interactions with veterans that help them break the ice? Many civilians do not know what to say to veterans, especially those that have recently been in combat. What can a civilian do in preparation to help break the ice? I agree with your approach, but I'd like to hear some specifics that we can pass to civilians so they can help the transition.

Garland Williams, Ph.D.

Getting veterans to see themselves beyond the title of "veteran" has been helpful as well as getting them to really analyst the specific skills and tasks that they learned in the service. The resumes that I have critiqued have had very little explanation of what they did in the service, so we had to work together to create a dialogue where the student feels comfortable opening up to what they experienced in the service and how we can display that in a professional manner for their resume.

Christina,
You hit on a good point. Some are ready to put their military past behind them. But we need to help them to understand that despite the horrible experiences that many may have endured, they learned valuable skills in leadership, budget management, and logistics that will translate very well to the civilian sector. Helping the veterans to demonstrate that within the words of their resume is a challenge that we who work with veterans need to meet everyday.

Garland Williams, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities