Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Difficulty letting go

I was recently promoted to manager of my department. I have two people working in my department I am in charge of managing. They have taken over the tasks I used to be in charge of. I am finding it difficult letting go of my old duties, because I feel as if it is not being done correctly. Is there any advice on how to give direction without sounding as if you are nagging. Especially incases when you feel as if this something you have explained before.

Nellie,
this is a delicate situation. First thing to ask yourself is: are they doing things incorrectly or just not the same as you did them? I'm not trying to be snotty here, but this can be our perspective, so that's a good place to start. If they really are doing things incorrectly, try to reteach in such a way that it does not seem you are nagging (even if you have already told them how). I encourage you not to take the duties back or do them yourself, otherwise they will never learn & you'll be doing two jobs. Best wishes.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Hi Nellie,
Thank you so much for posting this because I feel the exact same way! I am also finding it hard to trust other to take on my old task because I trust myself to get it done and in a timely matter and find myself wanting to do all the work. I have realized that this is not how a manager should react and should be patient and take the time to train and not do the work for them.

Susanne,
congratulations to you on taking this step. It really is a common problem for newer managers & one that's very hard to overcome. Keep at it & take the time to train others. Best wishes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment