Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That "challenging" student

I think we have all seen the challenging student, one who does not want to learn or feels the class is boring. However, this behavior is a reflection on the student inattentiveness usually and their lack of passion in the subject matter. How do you light that passion? Find out what makes them tick? Customize the class to meet that one person? What are some other strategies?

Hi Rachael,
Trying giving them a leadership role or even make them teach for a day.

Patricia Scales

I have dealt recently with a student who feels he has more knowlege than me. This is very challenging in that he absorbs class time and frustrates the other students. I have resorted to ensuring that all of my material has a direct reference to assigned reading, asking him to look up his challenge questions and requesting that he discuss questions outside of class time.

Well what do you know? I too have the same type of student! This student is very accomplished in many subjects and languages and sets himself apart from the rest of the class. I think I will hand him the PPT remote and ask him to share his talents with the class! Great idea!

That's funny I like to do the same thing with some students. I will make them teach the class as well when they feel that I am not doing the class justice. It seems when you put those students on the spot they realize that they are not as up to date with their information as they let everyone believe they are.

Sign In to comment