Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students not handing in homework

At my college we seem to have more students than the perceived 10% not handing homework in on time. We do reiterate work deadlines and ensure the syllabus reflects the requirements but seem to continually hit a "wall". Does anyone have suggestions on how to work smarter on this?

Hi Rachael,
Take points off or do not accept the homework at all and give zeros. Something has to be done to get the slackers attention.

Patricia Scales

I find that setting the expectations at the beginning of the course detailing how I deal with late work helps. I also do my best to post grades promptly and enter "0" for items not turned in so they can immediately see their grades dropping from missed works. Usually this will get their attention enough to motivate them to turn in the additional assignments!

Hi Christine,
I love your tactics. It is imperative to lay your ground rules on Day 1 so that students know that you are not playing with them. When a student can actually see the impact of a 0, most of them will buckle themselves down and do what they are supposed to.

Patricia Scales

We address this by having students sign off they have received their syllabi. We also have these policies in our student orientation handbook. Always put the responsibility back on the student and demonstrate where the information has been made available.

Hi Amy,
I love it! When a signature is secured, students tend to understand the seriousness of the matter. Students need to learn how to be held accountable.

Patricia Scales

At my campus we use to run into this issue a lot and we have heard every excuse possible from "my dog ate it" to "I didn't know when it was due" We began enforcing a strict policy about late assignments. They have 2 days from the due date to turn in the assignment and will recieve 50% off, if it is after the 2 day point it is a 0 no matter what the issue is we stick to the policy. To ensure they know the details and due dates we have it on the syllabus, student course calendar, in the classroom and on their portal. They are adults and must take responsibility, there will be no hand holding at their jobb for deadlines.

Take Care,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,
I love it! What a great way to prepare the students for the real world. Not meeting deadlines will not be tolerated on the job.

Patricia Scales

I agree, but it is difficult to make the student accountable and at the same time be respectful to them and treat them like a "customer". My first response is anger and disappointment at the slacking students because I was never that student. Even when I tell the student that making deadlines and being accountable is real world, some students simply don't care. It is extremely difficult to change the "I don't care" attitude, and with some students I have not been able to change it.

Hi Christiana,
I have been teaching for more than 23 years, and I have come to realize that they are just some students you are unable to do anything with. They never listened to their parents or anyone of authority, and they are not going to listen to me!

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment