Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting buy in from students

What are some strategies you use to help get course buy in from your students?

Answer the all time favorite question of most students who are uninterested of the subject

"When Am I Ever Goint To Use This"

Then hands on experiments, testing and trying it out before they are told the answers or how to

I always try to show how excited Iam abuot every new subject being delivered .The students are always very curious as to why i'm so interested this gets them to focus and stay interested

Hi Roberta,
I know your students love your enthusiasm. Excitement really begins with the instructor, and it can be contagious to the students.

Patricia Scales

I try to demonstrate to the students how much the course material pertains to the job or job site. I give examples or tell personal experiences during lecture when it is relevent. I also try to talk enthusiastically about what to expect and look forward to in their new career.

Hi Mary,
Students get it when you can make the course apply to their career. When the instructor is enthusiastic about the course, the students tend to be enthusiastic about the course.

Patricia Scales

I get to know my students name quickly, to show that I care, and I learn some about their lives. Then I will engage them with various things that interest them.

Since I teach in the laboratory setting, I try to relate the importance of the task or skill they are learning/performing to how this impacts real patients in a real hospital. I also use personal anecdotes and experience to help them relate what they are learning to how it will be used in their work.

I am new to teaching and I am sure that I will explore various avenues and take whatever advise I can get on the subject. To start I am going to treat people the way I would like to be treated and engage them in the subject matter at hand.

I show my passion for the topic and course I am facilitating. I also bring relevancy to the students, answering teh question, "What has this course material or topic done for me or someone like me in this field lately?"

Hi James,
Students can quickly tell if we love what we do. Enthusiasim begins with the instrutor. We must let our students know the benefits of the course.

Patricia Scales

start with short lectures about subject followed by lab right away. if i see one head nodding time to get them up and in lab

Hi David,
Nodding is never good! We have to keep our students engaged. Students love it when they are doing hands-on/interactive activities.

Patricia Scales

1)I use anecdotes from my own work experiences to connect course objectives to skills sets expected in the work place they will join.

2) I ask students to create a Dream Flow Chart. It is a device I created for any college level course I teach. It involves capturing one ultimate career dream. Under that, creating six goals that must be reached to be ready, willing and able to reach the dream when it comes their way. (I use the analogy of getting the crass ring from a carousel. One needs to sit on a horse that is on the outer ring of the carousel, one that goes up & down so it's possible to reach for the ring, and be strapped in safely, yet loosely enough to allow for upward motion toward the ring when coming around to it's holder.) Then they are asked to think about and research what steps they must take(any amount)to reach each of the six goals. We discuss the fact that they may reach their dream and still have time left, therefore they will need to have created a second ultimate dream as they progressed to their first.
W.H.

I try to make the material relevant to the real time world the students find themselves in.

My strategies for getting buy in from my students to really express the "why" they need this information and "why" it is important for them, and how they will need it in order to pursue the career path they have choosen. I also try to overemphasize that if they dont have proper knowledge of a specific knowledge it is them that will suffer the consequences... not I.

Hi Tammy,
Students like knowing the "why" of a course and how the course is going to benefit them professionally.

Patricia Scales

I believe it's important to acknowledge buy in from the students because it denotes agreeable terms have been met. The buy in from the student also represents affirmation or approval, this may also denote learning and understanding is being achieved.

I believe a good strategy is to relate a strong influence toward the students. I have had profound response and excellent feed-back fro students by relating my own life experience and how the course or courses have helped me.

Lab activities seem to really cement the course book learning and discussion. It seams no amount of talking about the subject brings the learning home like actually performing the tasks and doing the computations from actual work.

Sign In to comment