Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED 102

I should always give them compliment during Q & A portion. So that they will always participate.Do not give them negative attitude beacuse they were wrong.

I try to find the logic in what they said even if the answer they gave was not exactly the one I was looking for...they get that it is ok to answer even if they are wrong. Also, I can make corrections in thinking for clarity.

Marcellina,
This is how you support students especially those that are a bit shy and reluctant to contribute in class. Reinforcement like this helps them develop self confidence and growth in their expertise.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I do the same, I always compliment and if there answer is not exactly what I was looking for I will build on the answer they gave to provide additional clarity.

Stephanie Bernard

I did not realize how demotivational a negative comment could be until I went back and became a student again.

One negative comment does not make you want to participate in the class. This is something that hurt me as a student and I did not get a good grade in the class. I learned that it didn't hurt my teacher not to participate, but it did hurt my learning. Some students may not be able to learn from the experience and will simply stop participating and potentially stop learning.

I have strived to make sure that students feel safe to participate in the class. This is not always the case, but when they don't feel safe, I work to figure out why they don't feel they can participate and try to build that trust again.

Sharon,
This is such good advice for us instructors to remember. A quick negative comment can have long lasting impact on a student just as you experienced. As learning leaders we need to remember our role and make sure we provide support and give feedback in a way that promotes growth.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment