Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Time Constraints

Outside of class, most of my students work. The biggest challenge to the flipped classroom  has been a reluctance to enage content until after they have been to class and found out how little they know.  With all of their other challenges, there is little motivation to do so otherwise.   However, I am considering an attempt at 'change management' to flip their habits.  I will call them content teasers....to help them acquire the habit of 'previewing' the class content, as opposed to 'studying' it for long lengths of time.   I see two options for this:

• Video introduction
  • Discussion forum

This content teaser would be a <5 minute case study style scenario that requires what they will be learning to solve it.  Again, my goal is more of a habit change than full scale flipping.

Thoughts?  Anyone tried this?

Hello Michael,

I teach med/surg to the nursing students, and I found that I use power points to preview, and also have a pre-test, and we disucss.  I also call upon the students to pull their past experience from their clinicals to provide a detailed patient care problem they experienced - or the patient with a specific diagnosis we are focusing on for that lecture day.  Then I flip the class - I use case studies, and the students also demonstrate, or role play the content.  the last thing I do is I assign the groups to make up questions for their class mates (this enforces the students to read a dense section of the chapter).  The final part of the teaching is that I return to the power points from the chapter. 

As an ice breaker - I use Kahoot -- and these questions are NCLEX based questions.  Sometimes I use music and we have a dance line to answer questions on the white board (another ice breaker) -- student dances up to the board to answer a question -- this helps them with the select all that apply questions.  By the end of the lecture - they have read the entire chapter.

This is an 8 hour class, and the conent is dense and can be very dry, so I must be creative and keep the students engaged. 

I too am a student and work full time and understand that time is valuable and limited to free time.

Maureen

I have not done that but great ideas. I have flipped the class twice this semester and it went ok. I gave the students 20-30 minutes to get group topic ready with specific questions they would need to answer for the class to make sure none of the topics important information was missed. This worked good. 

I love the dance line idea, how engaging. 

Reply to maureen HALDERSON's post: Thanks...not sure I can get a bunch of geeky male tech heads to dance, but if I did, it would be certain to 'go viral'.  :-)

Sign In to comment