Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning dis...abilities

From the readings and the course we saw that most students with learning difficulties usually have average or above intelligence. It is not that they cannot learn, its that the standard approach is not a good fit for "how" the student learns. A good instructor must be able to adapt to different learning styles to make the material fit the class. This happens regularly in some of my classes, and can often change week to week and subject to subject. We must adapt to teach to the abilities of the student and not necessarily the disabilities.

Rachael,
yes the key is adaptation on our part & being flexible. Additionally, not locking into our preferred method but truly reaching the learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My Mom was a teacher of Dyslexic students for many years. Most of her students were truly very smart. They just have issues that require them to learn differently than "normal" people. In most public schools, these kids are either put in special education classes or just continually scrape by or fall behind. Fortunately for us, by the time we get them as students, most have learned the tips and tricks that they need to overcome their issues. As adult learners, they should be able to fully function without much extra assistance from you. My only recommendation is to stay constantly aware of the progress of each student. If you see someone who seems to be falling behind, speak to them privately to find out what the causes may be and what you can do to help them. This goes for not just learning disabilities, but for all issues.

Sign In to comment