Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

learning groups

The forming of groups is a very good way of getting to know my students.

Last night a new instructor to the school began to teach a specific class. the instructor and the students never met before or even seen each other. I had the 7 students and instructor go with me to the instructor lounge to have coffee and a few snacks. We sat in the lounge, had small talk, then I brought up a subject to get focused on what the objective of the night was. The new instructor and the students started talking with each other as if they were friends. I wanted to create a relaxed atmosphere where conversation between everyone tool place while having fun doing so. I observed in such a small group, in a relaxed atmosphere, and talking, not lecturing, was more a social event than a class lecture. The group and instructor began to interact in a friendlier manner and the sense of humor came out of everyone. My purpose, to create a small group to interact initially on a topic or two that was more of an ice breaker. The instructor had the opportunity to learn about the students prior to walking into the classroom to teach. This small group scenario has worked well in other situations. Point learned – in small groups people are more willing to talk with each other and not be reserved in judgment with those they do not speak with.

Geary,
this is an excellent point & along with that, keep in mind that adults learn best through conversation. So the more we can talk through the topics, the better our students will learn.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment