Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

chalk boards and white boards

When using white boards, I try to use a variety of colors; make some funny drawings realated to material to lighten the stress. Mixing sentenses with drawing seems to keep good attention. how about you

I also enjoy using the chalkboard/whiteboards I must admit I'm not the greatest artist, however the students find it amusing, it breaks the tension, and I'm able to get across the point I was making.

That's a great idea. I did though once have a colorblind student who couldn't read the green or yellow marker. I had to adjust my style for him.

I agree, I like using the chalkboard as well. The students also like to use the whiteboard. I try to include them in many activities using the whiteboard, that way they are physically and mentally participating in class. They find it enjoyable as well

I also like using the dry erase boards in the classroom. Writing notes on the board allows the students to see how the instructor can briefly outline a chapter or a section within the chapter, listing major key points, that can improve their (the students) personal note taking. Also, using the board varies the stimuli in the classroom and can keep the lecture flowing.

Hi LaToya:
Good deal!. I'm sure you use different color pens for emphasis and/or contrast. If a PPT is part of the lesson, it can be enhanced by projecting onto the white board, thus allowing the teacher or students to label, identify, make notation, diagram, etc.

A key use of the whiteboard should be to have a section reserved for the daily objective or stutent learning outcomes. This helps give students an idea where you plan to go in the lesson or topic.

Regards, Barry

I use the dry erase markers as well and I am a terrible artist! My students laugh at everything I draw, but when I get the tests back I see replicas of my terrible drawings as they were so terrible they stuck with the students! I am glad my art helps them learn and them laughing at me helps them learn and understand!

Kimberly,
Funny! I once attempted to draw a very specialized medical instrument on an exam. One had to agree that's what it looked like. I soon moved to cut and paste photgraphs for labeling questions on exams!

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment