Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

I find that if I group my new students with some existing students and I assign group work, I have found a higher retention rate among both the new students and the existing students.  I am creating an immediate need for the new students.  They are part of the team and they want to succeed and they want their group to succeed.  Part of the group work requirement is insure that all team mates are present to get full credit on the assignment.  The team leaders  meet with their group and keep me informed of the group participation and alert me immediately at any signs of trouble any of the students are having so I can meet with those students for tutoring. The existing students feel that they need to be in every class meeting every day so they can help their class mates and watch for any struggles that may come up.  The students that have needed the extra help are more comfortable with me meeting with them one-on- one.  I get the chance to catch any problems and address them quickly.  The students like the extra attention and don't want to leave until they are finished with their program. The Team approach has worked well in my class.

We also try to get all our cohorts together on a regular basis so they have a go to person who can show them the ropes. We try to find someone for each person to "mingle" with to alleviate the new kid syndrome. This works for a lot of our students but unfortunately not everyone wants to participate. It is an ongoing project and we try to encourage finding a buddy in one of the upperclassmen.

I had to add a new group of students to my older group and I agree with everything you said. The older group took on a responsibility to help the newer group and the new group told me they learned so much more and were better prepared to take on my requirements since watching the new group. Although I expect a lot from my students than the other instructors they are willing to take on  the challange and glad for it from what they tell me..

What I have learn throughout my years of teaching is that everyone has different stress levels that will cause them to do different things. I expect a lot out of my students and try to make them understand the importance of safety when dealing with hydrualics.  The older or the most experience people that may conprehend an easier way will help the new people to try and see it a different way.  The people that can adapt easy, I will pair them up with a person that cannot, most of the time.  I will let them know, in order to better understand how everything works.  Instead of being a whole time follower, make them a part time leader.  Everybody gains in the end.

Wow....Hydraulics, sounds like you deal with vehicles?  I find with any Profession, if we utilize our Tenure, Experienced Employees/Staff to assist with the Rationale of Why we do what we do and do it well, it helps the younger less experienced staff/employees understand that the trade/profession is an Art and that in order to preserve the Art we need to understand the mechanics of the trade.  Then, once they have mastered the Trade and passed their Certification and Licensure they can then stretch and grow into their own way of mastering their piece of Art....

I love these comments.  Getting instructors to look at everything they do as a way that helps students want to be in school is an ongoing training opportunity.  There are opportunities to provided that outstanding service at every turn.  Great class!

Group work is good, however, I find that there are people in the group that ride on the work of others.  At other times I notice that there is one person in the group that takes over and don't allow some of the others to interject their thoughts. We should want to present leaders in the workforce not controlling individuals that think they know all the answers. These types of interaction could be the cause of an individual leaving if the individual is a non-combative individual. I just beleive everyone has something to contribute.  

I agree with a lot that is on here. although i think we are all familiar with what our retention problems are, we as a staff have to be comitted to the student and be on the same page. There are obviously different levels of imvolvement from each staff member, but that general commitment is what helps.

Sign In to comment