Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Financial consern

If a prospect student is really interested in taking any course at any institution, but the financial situation is a problem. How will be the best approach to this issue?

Oscar,

In my experience (8 years of college admissions) the majority of applicants will be concerned about the cost of school. What I would suggest is a good conversation with potential enrollees to determine what there financial situation is. When you understand their situation, you'll be better able to refer them to the appropriate party. I work for a school that does not offer title IV funding. We rely on students seeing the value in their training and many self pay or seek grants to cover the cost of the school. If your school offers Title IV funding then you can refer enrollees to the financial aid department to walk them through that process. Either way, you'll be expected to show them the value in your training. 

Eric

Find out exactly what the issues are and talk with student accounts to see if there are any viable options.

My experienc Oscar, I found that having to uncover that on the initial interview and having support group with them during the interview helps tremendiously to figure out, plan A, B, and C. By then, when they talk  to the the Financial Aid Officer who will be more accountable in letting them know all of their options if they do run into some walls that will delay from starting based on their financial situtation.

Really discuss options to reduce cost. Many students do not know of the crazy scholarships and grants that are available (even in-house scholarships). They want direct links to find them and not do the research themselves. Or having a certain GPA, ACT/SAT score and cost reduction b/c of a high score.

The best approach is to help determine the student's financial goal and help find funding opportunities to help pay for it-

Sign In to comment