Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Length of new hire orientation

Does most schools have a set time length orientation?

Brooke,

It varies by college. In my opinion, orientation should be a process that runs through the first few terms rather than being a one day event.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I would agree. One day or even one week is too short of a time to process all of the information provided.

I think the length of orientation varis with the experience of the instructor.  I agree that faculty development extends over more then the first semester.

Orientation should last at least over several courses, whether that is a semester, years, or term.  We offer courses every 6 weeks, so orientation is at least 2-3 weeks before an instructor is given their first course and for at least the first two courses.  Training is provided every 6 weeks for all instructors over differing topics.

In my experience, the length of a program and the skill set and/or minimum acceptable teaching experience in teaching area for new instructors dictate the periods of orientation. For example, for a 6-9 month certificate program, the orientation can be as short as two weeks for new instructors with 3> years of current or recent experience teaching the subject. For those without experience, minimum of 4-6 weeks (usually a course/module) should be sufficient.

I agree, the lenght of the program and level (AS,BS,Graduate) would definately be a determinant of the lenght of traning.

Sign In to comment